Ch. 11

Reign returned to the kids vacation house first alongside Kyo and took a shower before starting to prepare dinner. She tied her hair into a ponytail and rolled the sleeves up on her shirt before making somen, rice, and sashimi. By the time the food was done, the kids came back and she went to greet them. Yuki and Haru came up first and she slapped Haru in the back hard and rubbed Yuki's head with her finger. She told them to wash up first before coming to eat so everyone could eat together.

Soon after the two of them, Tohru, Momiji, Hiro, and Kisa came up. When Reign went to greet Tohru, she seemed on a bit wary and looked as if she had been crying. Reign didn't ask questions but instead rubbed her back in comfort and told her to wash up before eating. Kisa scurried up behind Tohru and bowed to Reign before following Tohru. Hiro greeted her and walked solemnly to his room. Momiji came in last and Reign stopped him.

"What happened?" she whispered.

Momiji crossed his arms. "Something with jealousy and complicated feelings."

Reign made an 'ahh' sound and nodded. "I see. What's wrong with Tohru?"

"Hiro being an immature brat and asking intrusive questions."

"Let me go talk to her." Reign said, patting his head before she walked away.

Reign walked up the stairs and went into the room. Tohru was brushing her hair but was trying to hold back her tears. Reign shut the door and that caught Tohru's attention. She stood up and wiped her eyes. Reign smiled shyly and walked over to a bed and sat on it, gesturing for Tohru to follow her lead. Tohru came over and sat on the bed and tried to put a smile on her face but Reign could see right through it.

"I may be overstepping my boundaries," Reign began, looking into Tohru's eyes. "But if you don't mind, will you tell me what happened that made the smile drop off your face and cry?"

Tohru clasped her hands together and let out a shaky breath. "Nothing too serious. I'm fine now though so you don't need to worry."

Reign frowned. "Look, Tohru, I'm not as acquainted with you as the rest of the zodiacs are but I do want to help you in my own way as well. I can't do that if you won't tell me what happened today. Regardless of how serious or minor, I just want to know what made such a smile come off your face."

Tohru sighed and the tears she was holding back finally came out. "You are aware that my mom passed away not too long ago, aren't you?"

Reign nodded and Tohru continued.

"I have a picture of her in my wallet and I had dropped it earlier when we were returning from the beach. Hiro picked it up and went through it and asked why I only had a picture of my mom and not my dad and also why I only talk about my mom and not my dad."

Reign grabbed Tohru's hand and held it tightly. "I'm sorry Tohru. He was rude for that."

"It's just," she said shakily. "I don't remember him. He passed away when I was fairly young. I have small memories with him and the only picture I had of him is with my grandfather."

"Regardless if you remember him or not or talk about him, Hiro shouldn't have said it. I'm sure he's feeling regretful now so you needn't worry about him. I'm glad you confided in me."

Tohru smiled. "I'm glad you listened. I also haven't told the others about my dad so can you.." she trailed off.

Reign understood and nodded her head. Reign stood up and hugged Tohru. Tohru hugged her back and they stayed like that for a while until Kisa came out of the bathroom and returned from her talk with Hiro. Reign let go of Tohru and invited everyone down for dinner.