Ch. 12

Hatori didn't let Reign go until the car drove off. By the time, Tohru had collapsed to the ground and appeared to be in deep thought. The moment Reign felt Hatori's arm around her drop, she walked to Tohru calmly, trying to make it seem like she wasn't in a rush to check on her. Tohru looked pitiful on the ground and Reign felt a pang of regret go through her.

"Shall I check your wound?" Reign asked stiffly, keeping a poker face.

The sudden sound of her voice shocked Tohru and made her jump in fright but when she looked up and realized who it was she didn't seem so on edge anymore.

"Reign?" she questioned. "What are you doing here?"

Reign offered her hand and Tohru took it. Hatori came out as well, alongside Momiji and Shigure.

"How did you," she slipped off the moment she saw Momiji. "Are you okay Momiji?" she cried, running over to him.

He looked away from her and held the tears in his eyes back. Tohru saw how badly he was in pain and hugged him, making him transform. The two fell on the ground and stayed that way for a while. Thunder struck and it began to rain, slowly soaking all of them.

Shigure mentioned that they should go inside to avoid catching a cold and Reign walked over to him. The expression on her face was unreadable but the look in her eyes screamed regretful.

"They'll be fine." Shigure comforted.

"We're the adults here yet we couldn't protect them. Isn't that pathetic?" she countered.

"Don't think too hard. Let's bring them inside." he said, rubbing her back.

Reign nodded but felt a lump in her throat. She couldn't talk and she didn't feel like it either. Two people got hurt tonight because of the negligence of the only adults on the trip. She felt horrible for standing by and watching instead of stepping in to intervene. There wasn't much she could do now except for helping Tohru and Momiji with the wounds on their faces.

Reign entered the house and Hatori did after her, bringing a tear-faced Tohru in. Reign swallowed her guilt and grabbed Hatori's doctor bag and pulled out everything she'd need to clean and bandage their wounds.

*

Once Tohru drifted off into sleep Reign left the room. The house was quiet and dark except for the window illuminating the hallway. She found it peaceful yet frightening. Everything that had happened tonight wasn't what she had in mind when a vacation was mentioned. She sighed and walked down the stairs, spotting Hatori at the bottom of the staircase with his eyes watching her and arms crossed.

From his body language it was clear he was upset with her but she didn't want to hear it right now. When she reached the bottom, he didn't say a word to her, he simply walked off and expected her to follow him. Reign raised a brow but did it anyway. He only led them back down the path that they both once ran through and back to the house they were once at.

Even when they got there he didn't say a word until they were in her room. The moment Reign shut the door and locked it he sat down and glared at her.

"Are you aware of how foolish your actions were?" he asked, his tone of voice harsh. "Did you think about how you could've gotten hurt?"

Reign was taken aback by the sudden questioning and put her hands behind her back. "I didn't think I needed to. Momiji was hurt as was Tohru."

He ran his hand through his hair. "Reign you ran down a path that is full of branches and bushes you could easily trip, cut yourself, and possibly injure yourself with no shoes on."