Chapter 12.1 - Karuizawa Kei is a good friend

"I doubt, therefore I think. I think therefore I am."
-Descartes

_____________

Aside from almost dying multiple times because of that tennis match, all was well.

Ayanokōji's physical ability is far beyond what anyone in this school is capable, I'd be hard pressed to even compare him to a trained adult.

By pure brute strength, he's lacking a little bit, as his figure leans more on technique and refinement, simple but elegant strength is what I could only describe it.

Though I'm sure there were inaccuracies in my expectations, what I gained from our match was a little minimal, it's a little clear that he was going all out once or twice when he sees a good opening, but not all throughout our tennis match, it goes without saying that if he went no holds barred, I'd probably be dead by now.

"Let me play too!"

Ryōko ran to the field with her phone in hand, looking excited about playing a match.

Another figure, which was Masumi, came running exasperatedly after her friend.

"You two can play a match, I think
I need a break,"

I spoke a little unsteadily as
I continued to catch my breath.

It was less about my stamina and more about the mental fatigue which was running me dry. A heavy pressure naturally pressed down on me in the brief match, I just hope to get used to it at this point.

This was also the perfect opportunity to get to know Ayanokōji better.

With those thoughts in mind, I gave Masumi my racket.
_______________________________________________

Adapting

"Baseball?"

As he threw the bottle on the garbage bin, he walks up to me.

"We can pick at random if you want, the point of our journey is, of course, gather as much attention, as possible."

I don't see any signs of sweat... He's not tired?

Holy shit.

"I don't really mind, I'm free all day. Just don't expect too much as I only know the rules."

He spoke in his usual indifferent tone.

I've only played it a few times myself, not sure if I could even call it experience.

"I'm of the same boat."

For his absolutely mind boggling ability, he's surprisingly inexperienced at sports.

He may be the ultimate jack of all trades, being able to pick up on a sport in just a few minutes.

"By the way," As we walked farther and farther from the field, I broke the peaceful silence. "You mind going for a walk? We probably need a private talk for a minute or two."

About Sakayanagi.

While he merely nodded, it was enough gesture to imply he understood what I wanted to do.

I'm certain that, even if, Sakayanagi gets suspicious, she would be unable to do anything. And that, we'll only be out for 10 minutes tops. At best, Masumi and Ryōko would still be playing some more rounds.

For a minute or two, we continued in silence, only stopping once we were out of immediate sight.

"Prying isn't really my thing, so I'll be straight," I took a breath, "What did you do to get her attention?"