You're the reason

As per usual, they threw the Greenie in the pit. I guess it's like second nature now. The newbies get to wait for someone to tell them why in the hell they are in this horrible place we call home. Why are we not out yet, and how the hell do we plan on getting out?

"Hey," I said as I knelt, scarring the kid half to death. "Hey there, Green Bean. You're not gonna run again, okay? Good." I said as I unlocked the slammer door. "My name is Millie," I smiled. "Can you tell me anything about yourself? Who are you, where you come from? Anything at all?"

The kid seemed terrified but managed to blurt out. "No."

"Can you tell me your name?"

"No, I, uh... I can't remember anything." He said, tearing up a little. "Why can't I remember anything?" He said, panting now.

"It's okay. Hey, relax. Relax. It's normal. It happens to all of us. You get your name back in a day or two. It's the one thing they let us keep."

"What is this place?"

"Let me show you," I said, holding my hand out, "We eat here, sleep here. We grow our own food. We build our own shelter. Whatever we need, the Box provides. The rest is up to us."

"The Box?"

"Yeah. They send them up once a month with fresh supplies and a new Greenie. This month that's you. Congratulations."

"Sent up? By who, though? Who put us here?"

"Yeah, that we don't know."

"Hey, you alright, Millie?" Newt asked as he walked over.

"Green Bean, this is Newt."

"Hi." He said as they shook hands.

"When Alby and I aren't around, he's in charge."

"Alby?"

"Tall one over there," I said, pointing at the tall, muscular boy.

"Well, it's a good thing Alby's always around then," Newt said with a fake smile. "Listen, that was some dash you made earlier." He said, switching the subject. "You know, for a second, I thought you had the chops to be a Runner. Till you face-planted."

"Ha-ha,"

"That's great."

"Wait, Runner?"

"Newt, please do me a favor. Find Chuck."

"Fine."

"Thanks."

"What's goi-"

"Look, I'm sorry to rush this. You came up a little late, and there's a lot to do. We got something special planned tonight. Yeah, you'll see." We walked over to the tower, and I braced myself. My limp was still there and will never go away, but my leg is healed, yet this ladder kills to go up for some reason. That's why I've only gone up it once, about a year ago. I took one step on the ladder and knew I couldn't go any further. "Hey, Alby!" I called. Knowing exactly why I called, he ran over and lifted me off the ladder and shook his head.

"You'd think you would stop coming near this ladder all together by now."

"I thought this was my month, Alby. I guess I was wrong. I will climb it again, though, even if it's just once. But for now." I said as Alby laughed. "Go do your thing."

"Will do, as usual." He joked.

"Hey, my arm is fully healed. I can beat you again. But that wouldn't set a good example to our Greenie over here, so how about you finish the tour."

"Ya, ya. Hope you're not afraid of rights, Greenie." I walked away to find Newt and Chuck as Alby talked to the Greenie.

I found Chuck gathering some stuff for the newbie while talking to Newt. "Hey Chuck, do you mind if I steal Newt for a minute?"