Offering

I woke up the following day in the pit. Thomas and the girl were with me. "Are you okay?" She asked Thomas as he woke up.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asked Thomas.

"Wh-what?" I asked. I don't think they realized I was awake.

"Are you alright, Love?"

"I've been better, but why am I in here?"

"The Mad Jack hut was destroyed. Everything was destroyed, and Gally wanted you to be "safe."

"And why is Thomas in here?"

"Well, Gally blames last night on Thomas."

"What happened?" Thomas asked.

"Gally's taken control since Alby is gone and Millie was unconscious. We weren't sure when she'd wake. He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished with you."

"And the others agreed to that?"

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." The girl said.

"Well, he's been right so far."

"What are you talking about?" Minho asked.

"This place." Thomas started. "It's not what we thought it was."

"It's not a prison. It's a test." I continued knowing what he was talking about.

"It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork." said Thomas.

"Sending them up into the Maze?"

"Yeah, but not all of us." He continued.

"Why don't I remember people disappearing?"

"Because you were the first to go."

"What do you mean not all of us?" Newt asked, continuing their conversation.

"Guys, I'm one of them." I already knew that, though. I saw him. "The people that put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I-I was on the other side of it. So were you." Thomas said, looking at the raven-haired girl.

"What?"

"Teresa, we did this to them." So that's her name.

"No, that can't be true." She cried.

"It is. I saw it."

"Why would they send us up if we were with them?"

"It doesn't matter."

"He's right. It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the Maze, they don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now." Newt said, looking mainly at me, but shifted his eyes to Thomas before speaking again. "You went into the Maze, and you found a way out."

"Yeah, but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive."

"What?" That was all I managed to say.

"He was taken by Grievers last night, but I know if he were here right now, he'd be telling you the exact same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started." He's right. That's precisely what Alby would say. "Because if we do nothing, then that means Alby died for nothing, and I can't have that."

"Okay, okay, but we gotta get through Gally first."

I got out before Thomas and Teresa. Gally only put me in the pit because he didn't have anywhere else to put me.