23

TW// self-harm

"Tangina, Sas. Bakit naman nangyayari 'to?"

Echo was looking at me as if I had the answer. I was just informed that his mother had cancer. It was unbeatable, they say.

"Paano si Esme? I cannot leave her here."

"Tell her. She would understand," I told him, smiling a bit.

He shook his head repeatedly with pain etched in his brown eyes. It was not an option for him. Ayaw na ayaw niya talagang dumagdag sa problem ng iba.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of her." This was the only thing I could do for my friends. I didn't want them to have a hard time.

"You have responsibilities in your company and you have your husband to take care of." He sighed tiredly.

Hindi niya alam na wala na iyong lalakeng iyon sa buhay ko. It has only been months. I'm thankful everybody was busy with their own lives to know what's going on with mine. I wanted to tell my problems to my friends but I just couldn't open up to any one of them. It was hard for me do that before. It was harder now.

"She's my girlfriend, my responsibility. Not yours. I'll just tell her soon. I just need time to think of a way which will not worry her."

A genuine smile made its way on my lips. "Esme is my friend. You're my best friend. You're both my responsibility."

"Thank you, pero kailangan kong kayanin ko ito. My mom needs me. Esme needs me. I won't leave any of them hanging," desididong sambit niya.

"Wala kang choice, p're." Natatawang naupo si Marco kasabay nang paglapag niya ng bote ng beer.

Silang dalawa lang ang nag-ingay habang ako nakatingin lang sa mga bote. I tried to listen to their conversation so I could join in but my mind was not accepting any words. Para lang silang mga manok na nag-iingay sa umaga.

Marco excused himself when the doorbell rang, meaning our take-out arrived. I noticed from my peripheral vision that Jericho was staring at me with his head to the right side, so I gave him a smile. He chuckled and messed my hair with his hand.

"Kung naloloko mo ang ibang tao riyan sa ngiti mo, ibahin mo ako. Kanina ka pa tahimik. What's wrong?"

Tinampal ko ang kamay niya sabay tawa nang marahan. "It's nothing." I hate how I fucking sounded like Kylo.

"Oh, yeah?" Nagtaas siya ng kilay at sinandal ang isang braso sa backrest ng couch. "Ano pa at best friend mo ako kung hindi kita kilala, ha?"

"I'm just thinking of a business proposal for tomorrow," I said a white lie. From the months that have passed, I realized I trained myself to become a liar.

He let out a sigh. "Come here." He reached for my hand and enveloped me in a hug, tapping my back gently. "Every problem has an expiration date. And your problems, they would make you strong in time," he reminded. "You'll get through it."

"Wala nga!" Pinilit kong tumawa lalo para mas maging kapani-paniwala.

Tumango siya kahit halatang hindi naniwala. "How's Kai? I haven't seen him for a while... Salamat, p're," the last words were for Marco when he gave Jericho the change. Siya kasi nagbayad ng takeout namin.

"He's in Europe, right?" Marco asked casually. They were both oblivious about what happened between me and my husband. "Saan nga sa Europe?"

"Greece," I replied to not make it obvious that Kai and I had no connection at all. Narinig ko lang iyon kay Raya. He had a big project there.