34

"Noah is already focusing on the case."

Ate Elisha closed her eyes as she massaged both sides of her temple. Narito siya sa office ko. Pareho kaming hindi pa rin makapaniwala sa katotohanan.

Engineer Medina was an alleged murder. He wanted Kai dead. Why? Is this because of the head engineer position? Because of his recklessness? Because I held him accountable for it? Because I fired him?

Did he really stoop that low—to end someone's life—because of his own faults? Or was it in his nature? In their family's bloodline?

"Madali lang naman daw 'to. Walang lusot dahil nahuli ang binayaran ni Engineer Medina para bumangga kay Kai. The suspect admitted immediately," dagdag ni Ate Eli.

Napatakip ako sa bibig ko nang nang tuluyan nang na-realize iyong katotohanan. Nilapitan kaagad ako ni Ate Eli. Her high heels made a loud chattering sound because of her fast steps.

Iyak ako nang iyak sa dibdib niya. She comforted me and stayed by my side to calm me down.

My stress doubled and all of me felt numb upon seeing my mother confidently striding inside my office as if she hadn't done anything to me and Kai.

What she did was something I wasn't willing to let go of so easy. Because I do not get it. All of it. She let me marry Kai, then forced me into a course I don't even like, put company responsibilities on me, then when I had accepted that it was my fate and I was so happy with all of it, she made a way for me to lose eveything. At once.

Why was she so cruel to me?

"I'll go out." Ate Eli gave me a small smile before passing by my mom as if she didn't know her.

Lumapit si Mama. "Anak, how have you been?" Mama sounded so genuine while she was looking at me with pure concern in her eyes.

I wanted to vomit. First. That was a first. First time she looked at me like her own daughter. The way she used to look at me before was as if I was some robot that she designed to be someone she wanted me to be.

I don't need any of her care now. After knowing everything.

Hindi ko ide-deny na ang sakit lang kapag naalala ko na ni pag-attend sa school awarding ceremony ko dati, hindi niya magawa. The little events in my life, she was nowhere found.

Everybody had a mother to put the medals on their neck, except me. Everybody had a mother to bring during family day, except me. Everybody had a mother to go to the bathroom with, to tie their hair up, to wipe their sweat, to put band-aids in their bruises... except me. My dad was the only one who was present but he didn't even make me feel love.

I did everything I could to make them proud. Even a simple and sincere 'congratulations' for my little acheivements would do. But no. Wala. I only remembered being congratulad once. They were proud because they gained something from it.

"My office hours are done. I will not entertain anybody," I said coldly, wiping my cheeks.

Gusto kong isumbat lahat-lahat sa mukha niya. Pinili ko na lang na iyon ang sabihin. I don't see the point of attacking her with words now. I don't think it'll change anything.

Sometimes family is only family in blood. Not because she's my mother I will allow her to ruin me. No mother wants their child to be miserable. They should be your protector. But now that I know the truth, I will distance myself from her, even cut her off.