26

"It's okay! It doesn't hurt! Don't worry!"

Mabilis akong tumayo at hinila ang harap ng t-shirt ko para hindi iyon dumikit sa skin ko. It was soaking wet. Natabig kasi ni Raya ang kamay kong may hawak na bowl kaya natapon iyong laman sa akin.

"I'm sorry! Sorry! Hindi ko sinasadya..." Her tears began to fall down her cheeks as she looked at me with guilt. Her eyes were puffy. She hasn't stopped crying since her baby's burial.

"It's fine, Raya. Hindi naman masakit. The soup was cold already!" I lied.

It fucking burns! I could feel the heat touch my skin because my t-shirt wasn't thick and kakakulo lang ng niluto kong sabaw. Good thing my reflexes were fast at naagapan ko iyon.

I placed the bowl on the side table before removing my t-shirt, leaving me in my brown sports bra. I looked at her on the bed. Blankong nakatingin na siya sa dingding, yakap-yakap ang unan nang mahigpit. Tulala na naman siya ulit.

I sighed and took a seat beside her on the bed. She quickly let go of the pillow, placed her head on my leg, and hugged me by the waist, afraid that I'd leave.

I gently stroked her hair with my fingers. She began sobbing quietly again. Mas nasasaktan ako dahil pinipilit na niya ang sarili niyang hindi umiyak.

"Raya, babe, let it out," I uttered in a soothing tone. "You can cry. It's okay to cry. You don't always have to be strong." She shook her head slowly. Napabuntong-hininga ako.

Raya was aloof with our friends but they all understood why. She had just lost her child. She was too excited. I was the only one she was talking to. Ako lang ang hinahanap niya. Ako lang ang gusto niyang kasama. I've been skipping all of my meetings to be with her. It was fine. I don't want her to feel alone in this time of despair.

I recall her saying that she would treat her baby like a diamond—fragile and precious. She had it all planned out tapos biglang mawawala lang sa kaniya.

I glanced at the door when I heard it creak a bit, meaning someone opened it. Alex was peeking through the door. If Raya was a mess, so was he. His face looked so gloomy and down, as if he'd break down any minute now. Maga pa ang mga mata at pulang-pula.

"Umalis ka," malamig na sabi ni Raya. She knew it was him without even looking.

Whenever Alex was around Raya, she had her wall up and her anger was a rage. Para siyang apoy na habang tumatagal, lumalakas ang sindi. She was furious and flaming in pain. The mere sight of her boyfriend was a betrayal to her. It's a reminder that he wasn't there at the time she expected him to be there.

"Yel..." Alex called painfully.

Hindi ko kinaya ang sakit sa tono at mukha niya kaya kinailangan kong umiwas ng tingin saglit. Nakita ko ang paghigpit ng hawak niya sa door knob bago dahan-dahang bumitaw roon.

"Lex, come on." I saw Manu arrived behind him. He whispered something to Alex, which made the latter's eyes shut tightly. Nagkatinginan sila saglit at sa binibigay na tingin ni Manu, alam kong pinakikiusapan niya 'to. Walang nagawa si Alex kung hindi makinig at magpatianod.

I went down around midnight. Hindi ko kasi maiwan si Raya dahil kapag inaalis ko ang kamay niya na nakayakap sa akin, humihigpit iyon. Hindi ko rin siya gustong iwan. Maybe it was the fear inside me and the possibility that she may do the same thing I did before.

"Uuwi ka na?" Nakita ko si Manu na nagliligpit ng pinag-inuman doon sa garden habang si Alex bagsak na sa carpet sa sahig. Nagulat pa ako nang nakita si Kai roon, nakaupo lang sa sofa.

"Mayamaya," I answered and went near him, passing by Kai who was just quiet. "Manu... Please don't leave Alex alone." I didn't know why I reminded him that even when I know he'd do everything for Alex. Magkapatid na ang tratuhan ng dalawang 'to.