Chapter 2

"Gasp!" I suddenly wake up.
Confused, I look around. It's dark all around except in front of me, where there's what looks like a bright, wide circus tent.

Where am I? Am I dreaming?

I stand up and carefully walk in. It appears wider inside than outside. I look around and see a figure in the dark side of the tent.

"Uh... Hello?", I ask.

The figure is standing up on an extremely high, unbalanced chair, throwing darts at a board I can't see. What an odd thing to do...

I hesitate. "Excuse me...? Can you tell me w-"

A dart whisks past my face, almost cutting it. I freeze.

"Who are you...?" the figure says, with curiosity in his voice.

"Uh...my name is Elise... And I don't know where I am. All I know is that I was sleeping and somehow, I woke up here."

The figure stares, without a word. Then, as if I told a joke, he starts laughing like a maniac. I raise an eyebrow, staring.

He stops and bounces off of the high chair. As he lands and walks giddily towards me, I can see him more clearly. He's wearing red colorful clothes and his cap and shoes have small bells on them. But the weird thing was that I couldn't see his eyes, as if some shadow was covering them.

"Name's Jester. The Jester." He smiles while tilting his head.

"That's... a pretty simple name. Anyway, can you help me...?" I say.

"Depends on what you need help with, Sunshine." Jester says while circling me.

"I just need to get out of here, wherever this is. And you seem to know what this place is...", I say curiously.

"Yeah, I guess so." He says. "But it may not be easy."

"Well, why not?"

"We're not the only ones here.", he says, without explaining further.

I was about to ask what he meant, when the lights go out. I look around trying to adjust to the darkness, but fail.

"Uh-oh.", he says.

"Uh...Jester? What's going on...? I can't-"

"I think we have a visitor."

"A visitor?-"

A strong and sudden force pulls me without warning. After that, everything went black.