Chapter 16: Last Chapter

It's evening and dark outside. "I'm going to go take a shower, okay?" I slowly say to Jester.

"Is...everything alright?" He glances over at me.

I smile. "Yeah. I'm fine."

I close my door and step inside the bathtub. I start the water. Jester said he was in love with someone. Who could it be...?

It's not me. I'm gonna look stupid if I let my hopes up. It must be someone from his other life. I finish and walk out of the shower. Grabbing my towel, I start drying myself.

My head starts hurting again. Ugh, if it's not insecurity over my body, it's overthinking over one simple thing.

I need to stop being immature. If he falls in love with someone other than you, that's okay. It's his life.

I swallow and walk out of the bathroom.

Seeing Jester, I couldn't hold it. "I-I'm sorry." I mumble, tearing up.

I run out of my apartment and go outside in the rain. Almost immediately, I burst out crying. I can't let him go. I just can't. But I need to. It's his choice, his life. If he leaves me and he's happy, then I'm happy...right?

I hear Jester walk slowly behind me. "Sunshine...?" I hear him say.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." I repeat, still sobbing. My face is wet with tears and raindrops.

"What's wrong, Sunshine?" He comes over and places his hand on my shoulder.

"I can't hold it in anymore..." I sniff. "I'm in love with you...And now, I can't stop thinking about what you said, even though that sounds silly. Ever since you said you were in love with someone, I've been overthinking about it... And I'm sorry!" I stand there crying.

"But..." I continue, sniffing. "Whoever you fall in love with, I'm okay with. Because it's your life."

I laugh, with a runny nose. "Sorry, just...just forget what I said. It's nothing."

Jester suddenly hugs me. "Sunshine..." He looks at me. "You've been upset after I said that?"

The rain continues. I silently nod.

He smiles. "What if I said the person I'm in love with, is right in front of me?"

My heart jumps. "What...? But...it can't be."

Jester tilts his head. "Why not?"

He's serious.

I start actually processing what he said. "S-so...you're in love with me?"

"Uh-huh."

"And...I'm in love with you...too..." I say, still processing.

"Uh-huh..."

I look up at him and flush. Oh my god. Is this a dream...?? There's no way he's in love with me. But he's serious...

I pause and look at Jester. Without thinking, I put my hands around his neck and kiss him.

He freezes. I suddenly realize what I'm doing. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!" I blush even more and cover my face.

I feel his hands pull mine from my face. I look at him.

Jester comes closer to my face and kisses me back.

After a while, I look up and notice he's staring at me. I blush and look back down quickly.

I play with my hair. "Um..." I say nervously. "We should head back inside. B-before we both get colds."

Jester tilts his head and laughs. "You're right."

I smile and stand up. Walking beside me, Jester holds my hand and squeezes it. I squeeze it back. We silently walk back to the apartment together.

***

Night arrives and I'm bundled beneath my bedsheets. I can't stop thinking about the whole day. I cannot believe that actually happened. I actually confessed...And somehow, he feels the same way... That's... I can't believ-

I hear a creak from my bedroom door and sit up. I look over and see it's Jester.

"Oh. Hi." I say, awkwardly.

"Hiya."

We stand there silently.

"So...what's wrong?" I ask him.

"I was thinking. Can I...sleep next to you?" He asks.

"Sleep next to me...?" I ask quietly.

Jester nods.

"Sure, I guess."

He climbs onto my bed and we lay there.

I turn the opposite way of Jester, not wanting to awkwardly stare at him the whole night.

Soon after, I feel his hands around my stomach. "Is it okay if I sleep with you like this...?"

I laugh. "Pff, of course."

Jester places his head on my shoulder. "Good night, Jester." I whisper.

"Good night, Sunshine."

I slowly drift to sleep.

The End.

Thank you to whoever has read this short story. (Whether it's 4 or 5 people lol) I hope you liked it!

Side note: if anyone wants to do a little fanart of this story, please @ or send it to me in insta @mcgarden7. (The account with the anime profile picture lol)