Chapter 12

The police were waiting outside of my apartment building. I start walking down the stairs but hesitate.

Jester holds my hand. "You can do this, Sunshine.", he smiles.

I nod and inhale.

The police officers wait next to their cars until I come over to them.

"Hello..."

"Good morning, ma'am. We heard you had a problem here...?", one police officer asks.

"Um.." I look over to Jester and he nods. "I...want to report a man who has abused me f-for years."

"What has he done to you?"

"This..." I raise my shirt and show them one of my bruises. "He has punched, fought, and slammed me against the wall. I had tried reporting him before but every time, eventually, he found out."

Taking out a piece of paper, one of the officers asked, "What's his name?".

"Dan M-"

"Elise, what the hell are you doing??", Dan yells, coming from his car on the other side of the apartments.

Dan notices the police officers there. "O-oh. What are you gentlemen doing here...?", he asks innocently.

"We're looking for a man named Dan. Heard of him?", the police asks, suspicious.

Dan looks at me. He knows what I'm doing.

"Dan..? Uh.. No, I'm afraid I haven't.", Dan says.

"Hand over your ID, sir." The policemen order.

"No."

"Sir, hand over your ID."

Dan pauses and looked over at me.

Suddenly, he runs towards his car, thinking he could somehow escape the police.

"DON'T MOVE.", an officer yell.

Dan keeps running and the officers shoot their guns towards him, eventually hurting him.

They run and handcuff Dan. "You're under arrest for failing to listen to..." The police went on but I wasn't listening. I was just happy he was getting arrested.

The police officers brought Dan to the back of the police car and turned towards us.

"Thanks for reporting him. We'll deal with him and investigate to see what he's been up to. You two have a nice day." They slam their door and drive off.

My knees finally give way. I exhale.

Jester holds me. "You okay?"

I hug him tightly. "Yes."

"I'm finally free."