Chapter Thirty-Two: I May Be Queen, but I am also a Dragon

Rowen's POV

James and Kole didn't move right away. "I know the dignitaries from Nivetara and those men are not them. The dignitaries would never have those tattoos on their necks. Something isn't right. James, you need to go alert Orion so he can have the Dragons ready. Kole, you need to inform the royal guards so they can get into position to protect the royal family and the people," I said. Without waiting for them to respond I made my way over to the dignitaries to confirm what I already knew.

Stopping in front of the ten men and a few of their guards I made a fist with my right hand and placing it over my heart I bowed showing my Nivetarian respect. "Gentleman, it is an honor to see you here tonight," I said, switching to our native tongue.

The men glared at me. None repeating the customary greeting. "What do you want, boy? We didn't come here to see you. We came to see the Queen," the one in front barked.

Nodding my head I smiled. "Of course. She is pleased that you have all traveled so far to celebrate with her. However, until she comes I wanted to see if there was anything I could do for you. I know that the drinks here aren't quite like we have back home," I grinned. Turning to the man on the leader's left I took a step towards him. "Lord Dokken, it's a pleasure to see that you have made it here. How are your horses doing?" I asked.

The man scrunched his face and shook his head. "Horses are smelly creatures and only good for long transport. I've sold those I had and am onto better businesses," he said.

"They can have an unpleasant aroma," I said. My eyes glanced around and noted that the Dragons had all loosened their swords and a few were quietly escorting guests out of the ballroom, limiting the number of people. Turning back to the men my eyes traveled around looking for the one family crest I knew all too well. "And Lord Geving, how is your youngest son doing?" I questioned.

The man with the Eagle as a crest straightened up as I spoke. A momentary doubt crossed his face. "He's fine. Married and expecting another child. Took him long enough to produce a son after three girls," he grumbled.

The leader stepped forward with a glare across his face. "We've had enough of your mindless talk. We didn't come to engage in small talk with a youth. We are here to congratulate her majesty," He said.

Shaking my head, my hand fell to my sword. "You gentlemen are not who you say you are. Lord Dokken's pride and joy are horses. Lord Geving's youngest son only has two children," I stated. I saw the anger flare in their eyes as they knew they had been caught. "You are not here to congratulate her majesty, but to end her life," I said, drawing my sword the moment they drew theirs. "These men are not friends of Auroja. They are here to collect the bounty on our Queen's head!" I called. Before I had even finished my call to arms the clash of metal on metal rang out in the ballroom. It seemed that from every crack more Nivetarian mercenaries appeared. How they snuck all these men in was a question that would be answered later. Now was the time to end this before anyone was hurt. "You are a disgrace to the Nivetarian people," I said deflecting an overhead attack from the man claiming to be Lord Geving.

"I may be a disgrace, but once I complete my job I will be the wealthiest disgrace," he said, side stepping a strike from my sword.

The cries of battle rang out in the ballroom. Cries from the Nivetarian mercenary as they attacked, cries from the Dragons and guards, and most alarming were the cries of the people who had not escaped the ballroom. In my moment of assessing the room my opponent struck. His sword pierced my side. My breath staggered and then the man in front of me staggered, a clay vase lay shattered at his feet.

"You leave my brother alone!" Sparrow cried, throwing another vase at the man's head. The man growled as he stocked towards Sparrow. I tried to go after him, but another mercenary had cut across my path.