Chapter Ten: "I only get paid if she dies"

It was quiet and warm. Slowly my eyes blinked open and I realized I was in my bed. Looking to the window the sun was starting to fill the room; it was morning. Sitting up I thought back to last night. The last thing I remembered was feeling Benedict's protective arms embrace me. I must have fallen asleep and been brought to my room. Sighing, I slid my feet onto the floor and got dressed. Today James, Kole, and Rowen start their official apprenticeship. Maybe their being here would bring the much needed distraction from the news of yesterday. There was a soft knock on the door. Confusion entered my mind as I tried to figure out who would knock so softly. "Chloe?" I said, raising an eyebrow as I opened the door to find my sister standing on the other side of the door. She smiled and slid past into my room. Her hand came to my face where the redness of yesterday's tears still lingered. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Am I needed at the castle?" I questioned.

"No, I'm not here for my job, Sam. I'm here because Benedict came to me this morning saying that my sister needed me," she said, taking my hand and guiding me to my bed where we sat side by side.

"Wait... Benedict came to you? What did he tell you?" I asked.

"All he told me is that you came home distraught. Your brothers are worried about you. They said you needed your sister today," she said brushing my hair behind my ear. "Shepherd is getting together a breakfast basket, then you and I are going to spend the day together," she said.

"What about training?" I asked, not thinking that they would want me gone a second day. "I'm also in trouble. I tried to punch Benedict last night," I said, earning a gasp.

"Samantha! Why would you do that?" Chloe asked.

Sighing, I shrugged my shoulders. "I was frustrated. I didn't want to talk... he tried to make me," I mumbled.

She shook her head. "Oh, Sam," she said. "He did not mention that. It was his idea that we spend the day together though, so I believe that he will be fine with us leaving." she said, standing up and pulling me to my feet. "Come, it's not often we get time together," she said, as we walked out of my room.

I tensed up as we neared where my brothers were standing. Benedict walked towards me. He put a finger under my chin and pulled my face up to look at him.

"We will still speak about yesterday. However, I believe there is something going on that you need time to figure out. I hope that spending time with your sister will help you," he said.

Shepherd stepped forward and handed Chloe a bag. "You have breakfast and lunch packed in there. Just have our little one home by dinner," he said, smiling over at me.

Chloe nodded her thanks. "I'll make sure she's home on time," she said, slipping her arm through mine. "Now, let's leave before they change their mind, Miss Troublemaker," she said, pulling me towards the gate.

As we neared the gate James, Kole, and Rowen walked in. "Sam! We're here!" Kole said, running over to me. The other two following close behind. "And you are leaving?" he asked.

"I'm going to spend the day with Chloe..." I said, still not ready to talk to anyone.

Rowen however caught my eye. The look he gave told me that he knew the reason why I was leaving.

"Then who will protect us from Erik and his painful training?" James asked, grinning at me.

Shaking my head I gave my first real smile. "That's why you have each other. I managed it on my own for a year. I'm sure the three of you can handle the Dragons for a day," I said, then turned and walked away with Chloe beside me.

*************************************

"Sam, we've been together for nearly three hours. Each time I try to bring up yesterday's event you skirt around it. It's time we talk," Chloe said, taking my arm and pulling me down to the ground. We sat beneath a tree on the edge of Lake Haluin. I didn't look at her, I couldn't. I was afraid.

"Chloe, what do you know about my past? About my biological family and where I came from?" I asked. She didn't respond right away. I felt her hand take mine.

"You were just over a year old when you joined our family. I was so excited for a little sister to play dress up with," she said with a laugh. "Little did I know I was really getting a younger brother," she said, squeezing my hand. "I don't know much, Sam. I know that your biological parents were from Jarrow. I know that they passed away. The person who brought you to us wanted you to be safe," she said.

I looked up tears threatening my eyes. "Safe from what? What could have been dangerous for me but not for everyone else in Jarrow?" I asked. "Why take me all the way to Hillsdale, if I was born in Jarrow?" I questioned, shaking my head. Inside I knew the answer, but wasn't ready to accept it.

"Why now are you asking, Sam? What happened to bring this up?" Chloe asked.

I froze. Unsure how to continue. "Because yesterday someone told me who my parents were... but, I can't accept their words," I said.

Chloe didn't speak. After a few minutes she took a deep breath. "Sam, I thought I was hearing things a few weeks before your birthday. I was sure that what I heard couldn't be true. However, with the little you have given me to go on and something Nate said to me when he thought he was dying... I think they were true," she said, bringing my face up to look at hers. "One night, I heard momma and papa talking in hushed voices. They said that soon someone would come to take her to fill her rightful place on the throne. Though they never said your name looking back it makes sense. Then when Nate was dying he said you were going to be the change... I've tried to talk to him, but have not been able to get him alone," she said. "That's what you were told isn't it... you are the lost princess," she said. It wasn't a question either, it was a statement.

I could feel the tears on my face. "That is what I was told... but, I don't know if I want to believe it," I said. "It makes sense... it all fits. However, if it's true... nothing can or will ever be the same again," I said, shaking. "I was just getting used to my new normal," I said, falling onto her lap.

"Oh Sam," Chloe whispered, holding me tight. Her fingers started running through my hair. "I think we need to talk to Nate and whoever it was you talked to yesterday," she said after a moment.

I sat up shaking my head. "No, they lied to me. They could have told me sooner than our parents would still be alive," I said.

"This must be terrifying. Remember, you are not doing this alone, Sam. The moment papa brought you into our home, I fell in love with my little sister. No matter what we find out. No matter who you are, I will always be your sister," she said.

"Oh, isn't this sweet? A touching last moment between sisters. I'm sorry to end this... but, I only get paid if she dies," a voice thick with a Nivertarian accent said from behind. "Now, don't try and be a hero. I see you reaching for that sword," he said. Then I felt the sword slide from its sheath and be tossed aside. "Stand up," he ordered. "Oh you're young... he said you were young but you're still just a youth," he said.

Turning, I came face to face with a man covered in scars. "Why do you want me dead?" I asked. I could feel Chloe behind me and knew that we didn't have much time.

"It's not that I want you dead. But once you die I won't have to work for a very long time," he said. "However, you are just a child, so killing you in cold blood wouldn't be right," he said. He looked at me, then at Chloe.

"Leave her alone. It is my death that will get your payment not hers. Why put more blood on your hands then needed?" I asked.

He nodded. "I suppose you're right. Come here girl," he said, nodding for Chloe to come to him. He sighed when she didn't move. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just have to tie you up until I'm finished. Now, come here or die with your sister," he said.

Before she could respond I grabbed her and shoved her towards the man. He may be here to kill me, but something told me he would let Chloe live.

He caught her and quickly tied her hands. While he was doing that I dove for my sword, but a foot to the ribs sent me sprawling. "You're feisty. This should be fun," he said. Looking up, I saw Chloe with hands bound sitting beneath a tree. "I like you. So, I'm going to give you a chance. A duel between you and I. Winner lives," he said, stepping back and motioning me to get my sword.