Chapter Eighteen: It's a Maze!

"Look at it!" Kate squealed, three days later. Hannah and Nora peered between Aaron and Kate as they caught their first glimpse of Jarrow.

"Just a little bigger than Hillsdale," Aaron said, his eyes almost as wide as the girls.

Nate and I laughed as we continued on. "Are we heading to the compound or the castle? Or are we setting these four up at one of the inns?" Nate asked.

I glanced from the four back to Nate. "The castle. Chloe will kill us if we don't bring them straight to her," I grinned. "After that we will figure out lodging for your stay," I said, turning back to talk to the four.

"We get to go to the castle?" Nora asked.

"Will we see fancy dresses?" Hannah asked.

"Yes to both. We are going to the castle where Chloe works and lots of the women we will see, will be in very fancy dresses," Nate explained, causing squeals from all three girls.

As we walked into the castle Aaron grabbed the twins hand so they wouldn't run off. Kate walked beside me with her jaw dropped and eyes huge.

"Dominic," I called, seeing one of the castle guards that had become a friend.

He walked over smiling at us. "Hey, good to see you two made it home. Although from what I hear Nate may not make it long," he chuckled looking at Nate. "And who might these four be?" he asked.

"These are four of my friends from Hillsdale. We met for the first time since the Hillsdale massacre while in Backington. We're here to see Chloe. Do you know where she is?" I asked.

Dominic said a quick hello before turning back to me. "Last I saw she and the Princess were at the King's Fountain," he said, nodding towards the garden that held the fountain of the Mountain Lion and Wolf representing King Philip and my father, King Antonio.

"Thank you," I said laughing, as the girls squealed at seeing not only Chloe, but a princess as well. "Come on, we have a Chloe to see and a princess to meet!" I said, grabbing Kate's hand and leading the way through the halls.

We were a few turns from the garden when I heard footsteps coming behind us. "Samantha!" I heard my name called. Turning back, I saw Nikolai at the end of the hallway. Letting go of Kate's hand, I started walking to meet him. Caught off guard, a small gasp escaped my mouth as Nikolai swept me into his arms and heldheld me close.

"I was so worried!" Nikolai said, with a sigh of relief as he released me, but not before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Worried? Nate and I just went to see Andrew and his family," I said, raising an eyebrow.

Nikolai shook his head. "First I hear that a mercenary attacks you, then Nate and you disappear, soon after the mercenary escapes most likely coming after you! Am I not supposed to be worried about any of that?" he asked.

"Oh," I responded. "Yeah, I can see why all of that together might be of worry. I promise I'm okay though," I said, holding up my hands to show I was fine. Only for my sleeves to fall showing the new wounds.

"Sam," Nikolai said, taking hold of my arms.

"Okay, so Nate and I faced some bandits. All's fine," I say with a grin. I hear Nate clear his throat and turn to see Aaron and the girls all standing frozen. A strange look across Aaron's face. "Oh! Nikolai, you have to meet my friends," I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him the rest of the distance to where the four siblings and Nate were standing. "Nikolai, this is Aaron. We've been best friends since we were one. Then these are his sisters Kate, Nora, and Hannah," I said pointing to the four. "And this is Nikolai," I said, smiling up at him.