Chapter Eight: "Let go of the knife, Sam,"

I wanted to sprint to the castle. Shout for people to clear the way. However, I kept myself at a steady pace not wanting to be questioned why I was in a hurry. My body froze as I passed the mural of King Antonio, Queen Caroline, and Prince Alexander, a gift after the wedding. Looking up at the three my eyes narrowed onto the king and queen. "Are you my parents?" I whispered. Then my eyes lowered to the four year old boy. If they were my parents he would be my brother. Could he be the brother I was told to find? The one that would help me? Shaking my head I turned to continue my journey when I nearly ran into the person I was seeking.

"Samantha!" Nate said, steadying both of us. "I was just on my way to find you," he said.

Ignoring his comment I started my questions. "You said you were ready to be an open book about your uncle. What about yourself?" I asked.

Nate raised an eyebrow tilting his head as he looked down at me. "What are you talking about, Sam?" he asked.

Looking into his eyes my own eyes widened. He had blue eyes. Very few people in Auroja had blue eyes. My hand went up to my own eye then traveled back to the mural. "Your father was first in line for the throne before King Antonio's marriage... you know if what your uncle said to me was true," I pressed.

Shock crossed Nate's face as my words echoed in his ears. "Sam, you're right. My father was the king's cousin... I may have an answer to one question but I have found someone who can answer all your questions. I was just coming to get you," he said. "Come with me, Sam, and we will get your answers."

Shaking my head I took a step back. "I'm not going anywhere with you. I want the truth, now," I said.

Nate slowly shook his head. "This isn't the place. I'm not the one to answer your questions. Come with me and I'll bring you to who can," he said, positioning his body sidewaise and pointing to where he wanted us to walk.

"You'll give me my answers now," I said, trying to sound like I was in charge when my entire body was trembling.

Nate looked at me a moment before facing me square on. "I am not the one to answer your questions. If you won't come with me... I'll take you," he said then reached out his arms and grabbed me, throwing me over his shoulder.

Struggling in his grasp as he slid into an alley way out of the eye of those walking on the main street. "Nate, put me down," I hissed.

"Stop moving about, you're worse than your sister," Nate said, bringing up the time he had been a part of destroying Hillsdale and kidnapping my sister.

Wrong move. I relaxed my body for a moment letting him assume I was complying. Slowly I let myself slide down his back just a bit farther. A smile crept over my face as I saw his knife on his belt. My fingers reached down and silently removed it and then pressed it against his neck. "Put me down, Nate," I commanded. His steps faltered and then stopped. "What you feel is correct. I have your knife. Now, put me down," I hissed. His grasp released and I jumped off holding his knife in front of me. "Who are you taking me to?" I asked.

"The person who has your answers," Nate answered with his hands held up in front of him.

"Why haven't you mentioned a name?" I pressed.

"Because he asked me to let him introduce himself," he said, then took a cautious step towards me. "I know that I am the last person you want to trust. However, if you want your answers you need to," he said.

I looked from him to his knife, still in my hand, then back to him. "I am the one in control of the situation right now," I said.

Nate nodded slowly. "Yes, you are the one with the knife," he said, taking a step back. "However, does that make you in control? You seek answers, I have them," he said. Before I could respond he lunged. Nate grabbed my wrist with the knife twisting my arm behind me and shoving me up against the wall in one motion. Then I felt his other arm go against my neck and his leg kicked mine apart sending me to my knees. "Let go of the knife, Sam," he whispered.