Chapter Twelve: "Let's run away,"

The following morning, I woke with pain in every muscle. Groaning I stood and after changing the bandage on my arm I found my way to breakfast. Pleasantly shocked, I entered to the same nosies and greetings as any morning.

"Who you are has not changed, simply your title," Louis said, walking up beside me.

"Just so you know for next time there are simpler ways to get out of awkward conversations about trying to punch me, beside bringing home a mercenary and declarations of your royal lineage," Benedict grinned, as he nudged me forward to the food line.

Smiling at my brothers I nodded. "I thought I should mix things up a little for the first week for our apprentices," I said, earning laughter.

"We aren't your apprentices Sam, you're one of us," James said, stepping up behind me in line.

Turning I saw Kole and Rowen with him. "Well, technically the Dragons serve the royal line and since Sam is part of that we are hers," Kole said.

Rowen nodded in agreement earning a shake of the head from James.

After breakfast I found myself walking to one of the small rooms used for questioning. Orion wasn't sure if it would be too much for me to be in the room for the questioning, but I wanted to be there to hear first hand what he had to say. Taking a breath, I knocked and the door was opened. Orion and Erik stood in front of the man. His hands bound to the chair in the middle of the room where he sat.

He looked up, a grin on his face. "Seems odd for a girl to be invited to a questioning. You do know how ugly some of these can turn, don't you?" he asked, looking directly at me.

"The Dragons get their answers, but they do it differently then I'm sure you're used to," I said, feeling myself waver under his gaze.

"You aren't just a typical girl now are you? From the way you fought yesterday, I knew there was more to the story. Seems as though you being a Dragon was a forgotten fact in my briefing," he said.

"Enough, you failed. You are under our hold now. I'm sure you are aware of the information that we need from you. Your name, who sent you, why, and where they are now," Orion said, stepping forward.

The man nodded his head looking up at Orion. "You are an intimidating man. Although a few of those questions could have been answered yesterday, your little warrior there refused to have a conversation before we started our duel," he said.

"Then tell us now. What is your name?" Orion asked.

"My name is Eliakim and I am sure you are aware that I am from Nivertara," he responded.

Orion nodded. "Thank you. Now, if you continue to give us the information, things will go much easier for you."

Eliakim looked at Orion then his eyes traveled to me. "Have you actually seen how your dear Dragons get their information?" he asked.

Erik took a step in front of me shielding me from his intense gaze. "We will treat you well if you help us. You targeted one of our own. Why?" he asked.

"Because someone paid me. Isn't that the typical mercenary response? I have few enemies of my own. However, those that pay me tend to have many enemies," Eliakim said, leaning back in the chair. "Although, I do not see how such a girl as this could cause a man such as my employer such pain," he said.

"Who is your employer?" I asked, stepping out from behind and up to Eliakim.

"I have a feeling that you know. You are the one that took everything from him, or so he says. He's a nasty man but pays well," Eliakim said.