Chapter Thirty: There's No Going Back

Sitting in the garden felt different now. It had been three days since I announced who I was. Looking up, my eyes landed on the mountain lion. "There's no going back now. I only hope that I can be a leader like you," I said.

"You will," a deep voice said. Turning, I smiled as Andrew approached. He and his family had come into town last night to spend time with me and be here for my coronation in four days. "May I sit down?" he asked. When I nodded he took a seat beside me, my eyes traveled back to the statue. "Your father was a leader that made his people feel he was one of them, not above them. He did not have to order people to follow him, they did because of who he was," he said.

Turning my eyes back to Andrew, I raised an eyebrow. "How well did you know my father?" I asked.

Andrew paused before answering. "I didn't know him personally, but I was a Dragon while he was king. Being such I did have encounters with King Antonio and each time I felt as though we were equal, he never held his power over us," Andrew said. He smiled down at me. "And the same qualities that made him a king that people adored and followed are the same qualities that I see in you," he said, reaching out, taking my hand in his. "You faced your entire village being destroyed on your own. You fought for a place in the Dragons when no apprentice had been welcomed in years. I had a conversation with Orion just this morning and the stories he shared showed how you have changed the Dragons for the better. You have not stood there ordering them around, but showing in your actions how one should act. Those are the traits of a leader," he said.

Nodding, I cleared my throat. "I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for your family Andrew. You gave me the strength to continue," I said.

He shook his head. "No, you always had that strength in you, Sam. We simply gave you a way to bring it out."

"No, no, no," Nigel said, shaking his head as I curtsied to Jone who was acting as a duchess.

"I curtsied! I didn't bow or shake hands," I groaned, standing straight. "What did I do wrong this time?" I asked.

"You are the queen! You do not curtsy below anyone unless they are of equal standings and even then you keep it the same as they do for you," he said.

I grabbed my head in frustration. "So many rules!" I complained. I saw Nigel go to defend why the rules were important, but Jone held up a hand.

"Why don't we take a little break. We've been here since breakfast. Let's call it for tonight," she said, narrowing her eyes when Nigel went to argue. "Go spend some time with Alexander and Amber," she said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I know they've missed having time with you," she said.

Nodding, I quickly exited the castle before either of them could change their mind or a royal advisor caught me for another conversation. Sighing, I felt some weight lifted as I entered the bakery. Smelling the fresh baked goods and hearing Alexander conversing with Scarlett. I stopped before they saw me and just enjoyed a moment watching the two. It was Scarlett who first noticed me.

"Ammm! Amm!!!" She cried bouncing up and down on the counter. If it wasn't for her father's arms she would have fallen right off in excitement. Laughing, I walked over scooping the toddler into my arms.

Alexander smiled at me and his daughter. "Jone and Nigel let you off or did you run away?" he asked.

Sighing, I sat down in the middle of the bakery with Scarlett in my lap. "I almost ran away, but Jone called it for the day. I hate curtsying. It should be a simple thing!" I said.

Alexander laughed, taking a seat beside me. He leaned back on his arms and grinned. "I remember thinking there were way too many rules too. They are all there for a reason and some day you will be glad that you were forced to learn them all," he said.

"How about you get crowned and I'll stay here and run the bakery," I grinned.

"Okay, but you have to be the one to tell Nigel and Jone you aren't doing it," he said, reaching over and grabbing his daughter. "Good luck with that," he said laughing as I stood slapping his head before grabbing a chocolate croissant.

"And why are you abusing your brother this time?" Amber asked with a smile as she made her appearance from the kitchen.

"Cause he doesn't care about me," I complained with large eyes.

Alexander shook his head standing and walking over. "I care about you. I just won't take your responsibilities for you," he said.

Throwing my hands up in the air I sent a playful glare at him. "Then what good is having a brother if he won't take the weight from my shoulders?" I argued.

Before we could argue more the bell above the door rang alerting us that customers were entering. I snatched Scarlett from Alexander's arms so he could run his business.

The following day I was back at the castle. "Dresses are going to be the death of me," I grumbled, as Nikolai and I were practicing our swordsmanship, except this time I was in a dress. Something about needing to be prepared to defend myself at all times. Nikolai laughed as he caught me as I tripped over my dress for the hundredth time.

"You're getting better. You haven't fallen on your face today," he encouraged. "Maybe you should have listened to Chloe when you were younger so you were used to dresses by now," he said ducking as I dropped my sword and went for a hand to hand combat approach instead. He easily blocked my attempt, twisting me around so his arms pinned mine by my side. Struggling in his grasp I tried to pull away only causing both of us to trip on my dress sending us crashing to the ground, his arms still wrapped around me.

"Break it up you two! You aren't married yet!" Isabella's voice rang out, followed by her giggles. Nikolai released me. He jumped to his feet and then pulled me to mine. "You're spending the night at the castle Friday. We need all the time we can get. If you recall the last ball we were interrupted quite frequently due to lack of proper prep time," she said.

Shaking my head I leaned against Nikolai's chest. "Save me," I whispered looking up at him only to cause him to laugh and Isabella to glare. "Isabella, we will have plenty of time. I will come over right after breakfast on Saturday. I have a few final meetings with Nigel and Jone over the next two days. Then I will be spending the rest of the time as a Dragon. It's my final week to be just a Dragon," I argued.

"You'll still be a Dragon after Saturday! You only get one coronation day! We have to make it good," she shot back. "Plus, I'm the princess so do what I say," she said, crossing her arms.

Raising an eyebrow, I remained quiet for a moment. "So that's how you want to play?" I asked, pushing away from Nikolai. Isabella's stance flickered a moment as I walked towards her. "You may be a princess, but only as a regent's child. I however, have been princess of Aurjoa since birth and as so many have reminded me not only am I the Crown Princess, I am Queen," I said.

The two of us held each other's stare for a moment longer before breaking down in laughter. Isabella threw her arms around me. "Fine you win! Promise you'll be over right after breakfast?" she asked.

I nodded, hugging her back. "I promise," I said. "After all, as you said, it's only one day that you become queen."

Sitting on the tower I shivered as the cool morning breeze whipped around me. In less than twelve hours I would be taking my place as Queen of Aurjoa.

"Move over," Alakay said, shoving me over, although there was plenty of room on the other side. He dropped down next to me. Glancing up I saw the rest of my brothers making their way onto the platform.

"We thought we might find you here. Mind if we interrupt your alone time?" Louis asked.

Smiling up at them, I shook my head. "No, I've had enough of that. I'd like some company," I said. Turning to Benedict I grinned. "Will you still throw me in the trough if I misbehave once I'm crowned?" I asked.

My brothers laughed. Benedict smiled as he sat down on my other side dropping an arm around my shoulder. "You better believe it. No title is getting you out of training," he said.

Sighing, I leaned against him. "Thanks for being my brothers," I said.

"You're the best little brother, turned sister, turned queen that we could have asked for," Alakay grinned.