Chapter Nineteen: We've had days to plot your demise

"I'm thinking that I should wait out here," Nate said as we neared the compound.

Quickly shaking my head I glared at him. "I am not taking the blame for all of this on my own," I argued.

Nate pointed to Aaron. "You won't be alone. You have him. Maybe they won't kill you as much since you have a guest," he grinned. He sighed, nudging his horse forward. "Let's get this over with."

"The majority of Dragons kind of think Nate kidnapped me. So he most likely won't be receiving the warmest welcome," I explained.

We had hardly made it into the compound and dismounted when the shouts rang out. "Sam's home!"

Laughing I watched as my brothers came running towards us causing Nate to take a few steps back. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Orion emerge from his office watching the reunion.

"Samantha Noelle Pruitt, you are in so much trouble young lady!" Alakay called walking up attempting to slap the back of my head.

Shaking my head I ducked. "That's not even my middle name!" I said.

"Or your last," I heard Aaron say. Luckily he couldn't see the split second of panic on my face as he was slightly behind me.

"Technically she shouldn't be in any trouble. Orion gave us permission to leave," Nate said, walking up to stand beside me.

Alakay held up a finger, glaring at Nate. "Don't even get me started on the trouble you are in for. We've had days to plot your demise."

"Take a breath," I said, throwing my arms around Alakay. "Can't you just be happy to see me?" I asked, batting my eyelashes.

He shook his head pushing me off and into Benedict's arms. "Those pretty eyes don't work on me," he said.

Looking up I grinned up at Benedict. "Do they work on you?" I asked, repeating the action.

"No," he stated, pushing me to my feet. "Do you know how much danger you could have put yourself in?" he asked, crossing his arms. Knowing that was a rhetorical question I kept my mouth shut. "There are numerous dangers out there and anything could have happened. Not to mention that Eliakim escaped and is most likely after you again," he said.

Biting my tongue, I looked around noticing that a few more Dragons had appeared along with James, Kole, and Rowen. "He's not," I said quietly.

"What do you mean he's not? He is a mercenary and although he may have said you were safe from his hands he can't be trusted," Shepherd put in.

"At least anymore," I heard Rowen whisper. My mouth hung open, unable to speak.

Louis stepped forward tilting his head to the side. "You have something you want to say, but are afraid of our reactions," he said.

Slowly nodding. I then glanced back to Nate who stepped forward for moral support. "Between Andrew's farm and Backington on our way home we were attacked by bandits," I said. Pulling up my sleeves I showed my new wounds. Glancing around at the intakes of breath and whispers of my name. "Nate had gone to find wood and meat, when I was attacked. It was me against three," my eyes glanced at Rowen as I continued "Until Eliakim showed up. He fought with me. If he hadn't been there I don't think I would have made it," I said.

"And then as soon as it was you and one bandit he took off," Rowen said, shaking his head.

Shaking my head, I turned to face Rowen walking towards him. "No. After that he stayed for dinner. He gave us information that we hadn't gotten before, information that will help us," I said.