Chapter Twenty-Three: Many Have Lost Hope

Shaking I watched as the royal family all bowed low and Sir Simon, Sir Gregory, Orion, and Erik dropped to their knees before me. Alexander and Nate rose walking over to stand by my side. Looking to my blood relatives, I sought guidance in this unfamiliar situation.

"Please rise. We have a lot to discuss," Alexander said, taking charge. As he placed a hand on my shoulder my shaking started to lessen. He guided me back to my chair and as we sat he nodded for the rest to take their seats.

Although where we sat had not changed the significance of the seating had. Alexander and I no longer sat at the foot of the table, but at the head.

"Why didn't you come to us sooner?" Sir Simon asked.

"How long have you known?" Sir Gregogry asked.

"When will you take your throne?" Sir Smion asked.

Sir Gregory went to add another question but Alexander held up his hand. "We have a lot of questions to answer. However, we must remember that this is all new for Scarlett, we need to ease her into it all," he said. My eyes fluttered to him as he used my birth name. "Are you going to punch me again?" he asked.

Laughing, I shook my head. The tension slowly faded at the comfort Alexander's words brought. "No, not this time," I said, rubbing my hand from the memory. Turning I addressed those at the table. "La Fray told me when he thought he had cornered me and was planning to kill me as he did my parents. It was a few weeks of nightmares and inner turmoil before Nate came to me and brought me to my brother," I explained. "At first I didn't want to believe, I couldn't," I said. A new strength came as I spoke. "When Nate and I went to see Andrew I started to accept who I am. When I came back and walked down the stairs with Nikolai last night, that was another confirming moment," I said, looking at Nikolai whose smile gave me strength to go on. "I know we have a lot to talk about. Nothing will be the same now, but going forward I want to work with the people in this room to do what is best for Auroja," I said. My eyes traveled to King Philip and Queen Vivian. "Nate, Alexander and I have discussed the topic of regency. By law either of them could rule in my place until my eighteenth birthday, however we all feel that what is best for Auroja is that you remain as regent until I am of age," I said. "I would be honored to have you continue to guide Auroja and to be by my side as I discover what it is to be our country's ruler," I said, looking to them for an answer.

King Philip looked to his wife and after a small nod from her he turned to me. "We would be honored to walk beside you as you take your rightful place," he said.

Sighing a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Although I knew little about ruling a country I knew that to rule anything one must be surrounded by people they trust.

"Who else knows of this?" Sir Gregory asked.

"Right now the only ones that know are those in this room, the Dragons, Andrew's family, and Chloe," Orion said, speaking up for the first time since the start of the meeting.

"And Aaron. I wanted to be the one to tell him so I spoke to him before this meeting. Unlike when I kept my identity as a girl hidden, I do not want to keep this secret for much longer. The people deserve to know. They have waited for nearly fifteen years. I know many have lost hope and I want to return it to them," I said.

"However, before we announce it to the world we need to have a plan in place. La Fray will not be pleased this is being announced. It will make his task of taking the throne back that much harder. He will send more mercenaries for her," Nate said.

"Then we move her to the castle and have guards posted around her at all times. She needs to be in the castle learning anyways," Sir Simon said.

"She's safer if she stays with the Dragons. We are the elite force. The guards at the castle are good, but with the Dragons she is safest," Erik said, speaking up for the first time.