Chapter Sixteen: I guess we're killing a Dragon tonight

"You will all be there on the day that I come forward, won't you?" I questioned as I stood saying my goodbyes.

Lucy took my hands in hers and smiled at me. "Like you have claimed us as family, we too claim you. When it comes time for you to come forward we will be standing in the crowd as proud as can be," she said, then pulled me into a hug.

Sighing, I leaned into her embrace. "This past week was something that I really needed, a chance to get away. I couldn't move forward without you all," I said.

"Of course you could. You are one of the bravest, strongest, young women we know," Andrew said, taking his place beside his wife. "However, we are glad that you are not doing it alone and that we can stand beside you pushing you on," he said.

After a quick hug from Peter and Thomas I moved to Ally who was standing quietly. "You haven't said much today," I said.

Ally nodded as she looked at me. "I can't imagine what you have gone through. I thought you were brave to go after a place as a Dragon and now this. You're living a life made for a book and I get to play a small role. I am still trying to wrap my head around it," she said.

I laughed. "Who'd want to read a story about me? I can however say I understand the process of trying to wrap your head around this... I'm still in that process," I said. "Just, think in a few weeks you'll be in Jarrow watching me address the entire city in a dress," I grinned.

Ally giggled as she pulled me in for a hug. "You'll look beautiful. I bet your prince won't be able to keep his eyes off you," she smirked, making me blush. She then walked over to Nate. "You better keep her safe! If anything happens I am holding you personally responsible," she said, crossing her arms.

Nate shook his head. "If anything she'll be protecting me. She's had official training with the Dragons. All I've had is my uncles lessons," he said. "However, I will do everything in my power to keep our princess safe," he said laughing as I punched him. "Hey! I can't protect you if you break my arm," he joked.

After we had been riding for a few hours Nate asked "Sam, can I ask you a question?"

Twisting in my saddle, I raised an eyebrow. "When have you ever asked if it was okay to ask a question?" I joked, stopping short when I saw the seriousness on Nate's face. I nodded but didn't say anything more.

"When you were relaying all that happened to Aaron and his sisters you left out that we were related and that you are the crown princess. However, when with Andrew and his family you left nothing out," Nate said. "Why?"

No answer came right away. "I think I was in shock that I was actually with them. It didn't feel real. I wanted to," I said pausing as I thought back to our meeting. "I wasn't ready to tell anyone. Also, a lot has happened in the year and a half since I last saw them," I said.

"And you weren't sure where your relationship with them stood. It's hard to have someone be so close then not see them for a while. Are you going to tell them on the way back to the castle?" Nate asked.

Slowly shaking my head I gave my answer. "I care about Aaron and the girls, but there are others I want to talk to before telling them," I said honestly.

We rode in silence for a while. Both of us lost in our own thoughts knowing that in just a few days we would be back in Jarrow and have to face what we had walked away from. Looking to the west we saw that the sun was starting to set.

"We should probably stop for the night," Nate said. Nodding my agreement we found a spot near a small creek that made for good camping.

Nate had gone off to find wood for a fire. He had also spotted a few rabbits and was going to attempt to get one of those for the stew. He left me to prepare the rest of the stew and the camp. It hadn't been long when I heard footsteps approaching. "That didn't take long, the stews not ready for the fire but you can get it set up," I said. When no response came I realized that it wasn't Nate that had approached. I spun around and came face to face with three ruff looking men.