Chapter Twenty-One: This is my last ball as just Sam

It wasn't long before a servant informed the king that the majority of the people had arrived and it was time for the royal family to join the ball. Nikolai took my arm but I was frozen in place. King Philip, Queen Vivian, Prince Sebastian and Isabella were already walking towards the stairs. "I'm going to be right beside you," he said. Nodding slowly, I took a deep breath and started walking.

The noise of the ballroom could be heard as we neared the stairs. The chatter of conversation floated up the staircase surrounded by the music. As King Philip approached the stairs the music changed and the conversations halted. I watched as King Philip and Queen Vivian disappeared out of sight as they descended the stairs. Isabella twisted her head to look at me, giving me one last smile before she turned and walked down the stairs on Prince Sabastian's arm. Taking a deep breath I straightened up as Nikolai and I began our descent. Small gasps and the whispers of conversations started as people noticed that Nikolai was not alone in his descent. Keeping my eyes on the back of the room, avoiding those of the crowd, I managed to make it halfway down the stairs before my eyes connected with Alexander. I stumbled as our gaze held and the full weight of what I was doing struck. Nikolai's grasp on my arm was all that stopped me from falling down the stairs. "It's okay Sam, I've got you," he whispered, pulling me a little closer. Giving a quick nod I broke my stare from Alexander and turned to smile at Nikolai. Without further words we made our way down the final half of the staircase. As we walked through the crowd the music changed back and conversations quickly picked up. Looking around the ballroom, seeing it from a new perspective I realized what had to be done.

When Nikolai went to lead me towards our friends, I pulled him the other direction. "Nikolai, I need to talk to you," I said.

Nikolai raised an eyebrow. "Now? Don't you want to join in the celebrations?" he asked.

"I do. However, I need to talk to you before anything happens," I said. My eyes landing on the portraits of current and past royal families. "Please, Nikolai," I said with pleading eyes. He nodded and guided me towards the garden. Shaking my head I pulled him further into the castle. "There are too many people in the garden. Can we go to the library?" I asked.

Without questioning further Nikolai guided us through the halls and to the library. The doors to the library shut and the sound of the ball faded. Silence filled the room. I gently pulled my arm from his and walked over to the window looking up at the star lit sky. With a deep breath I turned to face Nikolai. "There is something I need to tell you. Something that I can no longer hide," I said.

Nikolai stepped towards me. "Sam, what's going on? What more could you have to hide?" he asked.

Smiling softly, I sighed. "More than you could ever imagine, more than I ever imagined," I said, closing the gap between us. "Do you remember the conversation we had at the statue after our first training session with Isabella and Chloe?" I asked. Nikolai looked at me, confusion clearly evident on his face. "Not long after that conversation I found out that what La Fray had said to me was true,"

Nikolai reached for my hand but I wasn't ready, taking a step back, I wrapped my arms around myself. "What did he say?" he asked.

"He said that he had killed my parents, that he was going to send me to be with them," I said.

This time Nikolai didn't take no for an answer as he pulled me close. "Sam, he's gone. His words weren't true, you are here, alive. You're safe now," he said.

Slowly pulling away I shook my head. "No. I'm not safe and I won't be until he is dead," I said trying to calm myself. "Nikolai, it wasn't just that I defended the castle that he wanted to take my life for. He sent a mercenary after me and will continue to do so until one of us is dead. Because, when I am gone he has a direct path to the throne," I said. Nikolai froze. "My parents were King Antonio and Queen Caroline. I am the hidden princess that Auroja has been seeking. I am Princess Scarlett," I said. Realizing for the first time that as I spoke I had no hesitation on saying who I really was.