Chapter 8

"What's it for, then?" Reggie wonders, completely unaffected by my yelling.

"I told you both my room was off-limits." Grabbing the book out of Luke's hand, I start walking back to my room, completely forgetting about the promise I made to Flynn a half hour ago to perform and instead being so enraged and humiliated that they found this diary out of the three sitting in my room. It's the one that has everything about how my mom died. And the tab they were looking at was a poem I wrote about Flynn being the best thing in my life. So supportive and understanding about what I was going through.

Flynn. Oh no. I completely forgot that she's coming to see all of us in less than half an hour. I can't even trust them not to look through my stuff. How am I supposed to play with them for Flynn to prove I'm not asylum-worthy?

"You really thought my poem was good?" I ask, clutching the notebook tight to my chest.

"It was amazing." Luke's eyes glitter with excitement at my change of heart.

"Well, my best friend doesn't believe you guys are ghosts... hold on. Where's Alex?" I realize there's only two of the three that made my performance at school insanely good. The two guys shrug, just as I hear a woosh and Alex appears next to the other two.

"What's up?" Alex asks, leaning against the piano where Luke and Reggie both are still standing by.

"I need to perform a song for my best friend to prove you guys are ghosts." They all look a little more than a little confused until I explain why. "She doesn't believe in the whole soulmate-ghost theory, and thinks you're all a figment of my imagination." I don't mention why she thinks that way, but they seem to get the gist from my long-winded sentence.

"Alright. As long as we can use your song." Why, Luke? Pretty much any other condition would have been okay. Doesn't matter, though, since I only have twenty-five minutes to learn it well enough to play for her.

"Fine. She's coming in, oh, twenty-three minutes." And, twenty minutes later, there are still a few hiccups, but it's the best we're going to do in the time crunch.

"So, as you can see, there are no projectors to create holograms. Feel free to look around." Flynn is already well aware that the only technology in the room is at least twenty years old, so her small scan against the wall where the couch is does enough to satisfy her curiosity and know that there's nothing new.

"Can you ask her to move? I don't want to walk through her," Reggie asks, knowing Flynn can't hear him.

"Can you move over here? Reggie doesn't want to walk through you." Pointing to one of the many chairs, she huffs and sits down.

"When you make a world, you really live in it." Trust me, if this were my world, Luke would never have opened my soulmate diary. Ever.

"Apologies, though, if this isn't very good. We practiced for as long as we could." She raises her eyebrows, probably thinking that another hour of practice would do us some good, but doesn't say anything. She is already here, so it's not like she won't see them if she sticks around. Setting my fingers on the piano keys, I pray I remember all the notes and start playing. "Oh, and this is actually from a poem I wrote about you."

"If I leave you on a bad note
Leave you on a sad note
Guess that meansI'mbuying lunch thatday
I know all your secrets
You knowall my deep-dish
Guess that means some things they never, they never

Change
We both know what I, what I, what I
Mean
When I look at you it's like I'm looking at me" Nodding to the guys, they join in for the chorus, shocking Flynn out of her wits for a moment when she sees them.