Chapter 21

Sitting next to the unattached garage-turned-music studio, I can't imagine how the guys must be feeling. I can hear them all faintly talking amongst each other, picking up words here and there. Rubbing my wrist, there's a slight bit of comfort coming from knowing there is someone else out there who is perfect for me,, accepts my flaws, and will encourage me to become my best self.

I would give a lot of things to just meet him, or her, just once.

"Welcome everyone!" Flynn announces into her microphone, letting the words wash over the crowd and they cheer. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her soulmate mark dark against her medium brown skin. A tinge of jealousy courses through me when I see it, but I ignore it as much as I can. It's nothing new, nothing I can control, but sometimes I wish the roles were reversed so she would know how much it hurts to see a whole world of people no living human can touch. "Who's ready to see the best hologram band in LA?" Another wave of cheers pound against my eardrums, preparing me for the performance. Sneaking to the side door, the moment I'm inside the studio, the doors open up to reveal the seemingly empty studio with me standing in the center. The ghosts are all here, quiet as mice for once, waiting for their cue to play.

"Hi, everyone. Thank you all for coming. I hope you like our performance tonight! We'll be posting videos on YouTube in a couple days of the songs, so make sure to check those out too." Sitting on the bench that matches the wooden piano in front of me, I take a deep breath, starting the song.

"Running from the past
Tripping on the now
What is lost can be found, it's obvious
And like a rubber ball
We come bouncing back
We all got a second act, inside of us" Here's where the guys come in. Now, I have to remind myself not to get lost in Luke's eyes and forget about everyone else. That might be a harder task than I can handle, but I want to try.

"I believe
I believe that we're just one dream
Away from who we're meant to be
That we're standing on the edge of
Something big, something crazy
Our best days are yet unknown
That this moment is ours to own
'Cause we're standing on the edge of great
(On the edge of great) Great
'Cause we're standing on the edge of great" Standing up from the piano, I make eye contact with Reggie and Alex, completely avoiding Luke so I don't see the disappointment on his face. Good thing is that he isn't too distracted that he forgets to sing when he's supposed to.

"We all make mistakes
But they're just stepping stones
To take us where we wanna go
It's never straight, no
Sometimes we gotta lean
Lean on someone else
To get a little help
Until we find our way

I believe
I believe that we're just one dream
Away from who we're meant to be
That we're standing on the edge of
Something big, something crazy
Our best days are yet unknown
That this moment is ours to own
'Cause we're standing on the edge of great
(On the edge of great) Great
'Cause we're standing on the edge of" Climbing on the piano, I ready myself for the bridge, which is definitely my favorite part of the whole song. The use of the minor keys and the harmonies makes it sound amazing.

"Shout, shout
C'mon and let it out, out
Don't gotta hide it
Let your colors blind their eyes
Be who you are no compromise
Just shout, shout
C'mon and let it out, out
What doesn't kill you makes you feel alive (Alive)
Ooh-oh" Here's the really interesting part. Luke is supposed to play a riff while I sing the final chorus, but if I look into his eyes at all, there's no coming back from it. Stepping on the bench, I sing the first word of the last chorus, begging myself not to look into his eyes.