Chapter 12

"Julie, remind me to show you some good Sunset Curve songs you might like." Watching him talk about something he's so passionate about is almost intoxicating. I can't get enough of it—his smile and passion for music. His face lights up, bearing a bright smile, and his body is instantly more energetic with excitement.

"Show me now." Sitting at my piano, he starts to play a song I instantly remember as one of Trevor Wilson's many hits. "So, you wanna sample." I didn't know he knew that song.

"Sample?" Right, he probably doesn't know the definition of the word.

"You know, sample someone else's music." Okay, that's probably a trashy definition, but hopefully it comes across okay. "That was one of my favorite songs to listen to with my mom in the car. Classic Trevor Wilson song." My entire generation grew up listening to Trevor Wilson and his legendary rock music. Without him, I would have never been introduced to rock or still love it as much as I do.

"It's a classic our song. Never even heard of Trevor Wilson." Hold on. How could they play one of his songs note for note if they've never heard of my all-time favorite artist.

"It's a Trevor Wilson song. Believe me; I don't mix up songs." This night just went from normal to psych-ward-crazy in a matter of seconds. Pulling my laptop from behind me, I pull up the song on YouTube, playing it so they can listen.

"Hold on, that's Bobby." Bobby? Who in the world is that? "Our rhythmic guitarist." My face scrunches up as I process how in the world the legendary Trevor Wilson was in a budding rock band twenty-five years ago. That he NEVER mentioned. Ever. No one even knows, or at least remembers, Sunset Curve. My mom never mentioned them either, and she had their demo CD.

"Trevor Wilson was in your band?" Maybe he looks more like the fourth member on the CD case than I thought. I mean, he's not a part of the fright of ghosts that appeared here just a few days ago.

"I can't get over how old he looks." Reggie says, getting closer to my computer.

"He looks like a substitute teacher." I don't know what kind of insult that is, Alex, but it's definitely one I've never heard before. I've had some pretty good subs, and I don't think they look anything like him.

"Julie?" Luke's voice sounds almost like he's in pain. "What other hits does he have?" There were a lot, but I remember most of the names pretty easily.

"'Get Lost'." That's one of my favorites of his.

"Yeah, I wrote that." If this is going the way I think it is, I don't know if I'm ready for an angry Luke.

"Long Weekend," I continue, before remembering another.

"I wrote that one, too." Oh, no.

"Crooked Teeth?" Please, tell me this one breaks the already-forming pattern.

"Luke wrote that one, too. It was about Reggie." Alex says, which makes my head spin. They continue talking, but I can't even pay attention to a single syllable leaving their lips as I realize my whole childhood—the very reason I am inspired by music—is all a lie.

"Unbelievable! He sings all the songs and we don't even get credit!" Clearly, I'm not the only one with an adverse reaction upon finding all this out. "Julie, where does he live?"

"Above the beach in Malibu." Why did I just say that? I should have just kept my mouth shut. But, when it comes to Luke, it's like my rational switch is just turned off. The boys poof away before I can say anything, leaving me to wonder what could possibly be going through their minds.

Most likely, some kind of revenge plan to enact on Trevor Wilson since he stole all of their songs.

And, being the only person who can see these three idiots, it's kind of my job to stop them.