Chapter 22

"That was an amazing performance, Jules!" Flynn says as soon as we finish our fourth song of the night and everyone has left. Dad told me he would edit together the first performance so that it looked professional to put on YouTube, since it takes quite a bit of time to do so. Not that I mind, really, since I just want some exposure on YouTube, and I'm sure our first song was the most memorable.

"Thanks, Flynn, but now you have to help us clean up." A groan is the only answer I get in reply to what I say, but I don't blame her. I don't want to have to do it either, but it's the price we have to pay for doing a gig at our own house.

"So, the whole eye contact thing?" Flynn looks my way, speaking quietly so Carlos and my dad don't hear us talking.

"I know, Flynn." His eyes are like a void that I can't pull myself out of even if I wanted to. Sure, Luke is a ghost and all, more immature than a five year old half the time, and no one who cares about me can meet him, but there's something between us I can't deny.

"You two have so much chemistry, but I don't want to see your heart break over a guy you can't have." She shows me her word, and I instantly feel a pang of sadness run through my veins. "You need to find the person, well ghost, that does this to you."

"I get it, Flynn, but they should still be able to help me, at least." I point out, and she can't disagree with what I'm saying as we finish cleaning up everything that's on the tables. What makes it easier is the fact that it's all trash. "Well, looks like it's all pretty good. I have homework, so I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Definitely. Oh, and I forgot to tell you, but Drew and I are going to a movie tonight." Drew is her soulmate and every time she talks about him, her whole face lights up like nothing in the world could compare to him.

"Really? What movie?" Knowing her, it'll probably be some rom-com or an action movie.

"That new superhero movie." That falls under the action category, just as I expected. "We both really like those kinds of movies."

"Have fun, Flynn. And tell me everything tomorrow morning!" I yell her direction and she gives a thumbs up without looking back while I head to my room to write about today.

Hello,

Today was an amazing day. The band and I performed four songs for a huge crowd of high schoolers, although we played at my house using the music studio and the concrete patio as our performance space. Like I said in the last entry, Flynn challenged me to try to keep from making too much eye contact with Luke, but I got sucked in anyways. Sometimes, I remind myself that Luke isn't my soulmate, but whenever I look into his eyes, it's the last thing on my mind.

Playing for the crowd, though, was exhilarating and if I had the choice, it's what I'd do for the rest of my lifetime. We played Great, In Your Starlight, Anyone on My Mind, and Misfits of Time. In Your Starlight is one of the Sunset Curve songs Luke wrote in 1995, and one of my all-time favorites of theirs. The other three were written by Luke and I together over the last couple weeks. I can't believe so little time has passed since they appeared in my life. Since they've appeared, my grief has subsided and only occasionally do I miss my mom. I haven't seen her since I've started seeing ghosts, but I know she never found her soulmate so I don't know why I've never seen her.

Outside of all that, Flynn is going on a movie date with her soulmate. I shouldn't admit this, but I'm a little jealous that she has it so easy—she barely had to search to find and bind to her soulmate. I'll probably be one of the few that never finds their soulmate, at this rate.

I could own everything
And it would feel like I owned nothing
Without the one I'm meant for
My life feels like it's meant for more