Chapter 14

As it turns out, that bad gut feeling was correct. It's already eleven pm and I don't know what to do or how to explain that the three ghosts I was banking on showing up aren't here. Instead, they're exacting revenge on someone who wronged them even though that person can't see ghosts. I don't know whether Trevor Wilson ever did bind, but I know for a fact that if he could see ghosts, it would probably not have ended like that yesterday.

"Is there anything I can help with?" Nick asks after walking onto the edge of the stage. I'm stuck with no ghosts and a "projector" that "doesn't work". It's an old camera that basically just has a light which turns on and off. Nothing special.

"No. For some reason the projector won't turn on." Yeah, well, seeing as the people I need here aren't here, I don't even want to go on.

This was a mistake.

Staring at my soulmate mark, I wonder how my life went from normal to crazy in just a few days.

Melody

The one thing that is keeping me centered. Nick looks around and somehow notices the one thing out of place which powers the old camera.

"Well, let's try plugging it in. Remember, you've got this." Just him saying that brings me back to the time I first performed with the guys. Luke said the exact same thing before I started performing on stage.

Wait, does Nick expect me to perform? I can't do that.

"Hey guys! We've got the hologram-thing working! Who's ready to see Julie and the Phantoms?!" Nick, I like you, but I might actually kill you now.

Flynn came up with a glorious band name during her French class: Julie and the Phantoms. But, now that it's out there, I just want the actual phantoms to show up. They're two hours late, and I don't think they're going to come. Scratch that, I know they're not going to come.

Because all they want to do is get revenge on the guy—their former bandmate—that stole all of Sunset Curve's songs and rebranded them as his own.

I guess I need to get on stage now and explain, somehow, that the actual phantoms aren't here. We're doing great, guys.

"Hey, so, even though Nick got the hologram projector working—big thanks to him for that—I'm still having trouble linking up with the guys." There are a series of boo's which are making me want to run all the way home and forget this ever happened. "So sorry." My last words are drowned out by disappointed high schoolers, and the moment Carrie interjects, I know my day just got worse. If that is even possible.

"Does anyone know the Heimlich? Julie's choking." Okay, I'm done. Get me out of here. This band is officially over. If my social life is only going to be ruined by a bunch of self-absorbed spirits, I'm not going to put in the effort. "Who wants to see Dirty Candy?" Please, just for once, can you not act like a stuck up snob, Carrie? Packing up my things, I am almost praising Carrie's ability to get everyone in the gym to leave on command. Granted, it means a party at her house, but I don't care anymore.

I know I wasn't invited anyways.

"So, you want to get some ice cream and drown our sorrows?" Flynn asks, trying to brighten my mood. "Fools gave me the keys." Yeah, they are fools. Anyone that knows Flynn knows that sugar, in any form, will, at some point, be consumed by her. It's just a fact of life.

And why I keep my stash of gummy bears a secret.

"Get me two! Of everything..." Trailing my words, I head over to the balloon arch and start popping balloons trying to let off any anger I have, but even that doesn't seem to be working. Each resounding pop starts to remind me of the stupid ghosts that just poof in and out of my life.