Chapter 19

The only thing worse than bombing an interview is having your parent bomb it for you.

The "important lady" was asking about our band and was definitely interested in having us do a demo, but that didn't go to plan. My dad was at the club a couple nights ago and now I'm officially grounded for life. Not life, but a month. Even after our success with our performance that night. I guess I should be happy with even the slightest bit of recognition, but it was so embarrassing to have dad yell at me because I was technically grounded and not allowed to leave the house. A little bit is on me, sure, since I was supposed to be at home. Parents, honestly, overreact about things they don't need to overreact about a lot. Kind of sucks when it ruins your chances at making progress on your budding music career, though.

"Julie, come on, you're going to be late for school!" I know, dad. I can see my alarm clock.

"Coming in just a sec!" I yell back down to him, zipping up my backpack with everything in it. I hear a poof, knowing at least one of the three of them has come to talk to me. School is a little more important, right now.

"Julie, we have a new song Luke has been writing. Wanna hear?" No. I need to go to school. There isn't time to listen to a new song right now, especially when I'm grounded. If my dad found out the reason I was late to school was to listen to a song played by ghosts, he'd either ground me more or ship me to a psych ward. Alright, I admit, that's a little drastic, but you get my point. No good things can come out of it.

"After school. I don't want to be late." Reggie protests, but I refuse to give in to the most immature member of the band. Especially when I've got a dance performance that I really need to prepare for. Honestly? As much as I was dreading doing this with Nick, it's been kind of nice dancing with him. There's no tension between the two of us, no major secrets, and he's actually not bad. Turns out, his sister's princess dance parties actually helped him out a lot.

"We better see you in the studio at three o'clock sharp!" Reggie yells as I walk down the hallway to the front door, opening it up to reveal an already-running car and my father and brother waiting for me.

"So, Julie, I was thinking, since I know I screwed up with that talent scout and all, that I could book your band a local gig." Dad of the Year Award, am I right? Like, I broke the terms of being grounded and still get a "local gig" booked by my dad.

"Wait, really? Did you call your buddy at Drakes?" Judging by his strained expression, I guessed wrong.

"No. I called Flynn. She's going to help set up a party at our house." You have got to be kidding me. I think I was a little early with the "Dad of the Year" award. Having a party does not equate to the kind of gig that would get my band on the front of billboards.

"Oh." My reaction says it all, but he interjects before I can say I'm good with not having a party.

"I'm going to invite some of my colleagues and put you on film so you can put something on the YouTube." Oh. Sweet! I can already picture the guys' reactions when they hear about this later. Or hear my dad discussing it around the house. Reggie follows my dad around like a lost puppy, so that wouldn't be all that surprising.

"We have a gig? Score!" Like I said: Reggie follows my dad around like a lost puppy. Ignoring the ghost in the back seat, I listen as my dad explains the details of the party. Honestly, I was a little let down when he mentioned it would be at our house, but hearing the full plan, it's actually a really good one. One I don't plan to bomb any time soon.

"Alright, mija, I'll see you after school." Kissing my father's cheek, I head to the school entrance, already looking for Flynn. When I don't see her, I pull out my phone, plug in headphones, and start to play the first song that comes up on shuffle.