Chapter 3: Changes

I glare at Easton and Aspen as they walk into the cafeteria together

I glare at Easton and Aspen as they walk into the cafeteria together. I hate him. But I put up with him because he's closest to Aspen out of all of our friends, and because I'm closest with Caleb, his older brother. My glare turns harsher as I take in their ruffled clothing and flushed cheeks, not that i needed to see visible confirmation, I'm pretty sure the entire lunch room heard them. They weren't quiet. And they knew it too. They just don't care.

Well I care. I didn't judge Aspens slightly promiscuous lifestyle. If anything I was jealous. Just thinking about casual sex made me feel disgusted with myself. I hated it. I hated what they did to me. I just wanted to be free. I guess I was always the weaker of the two of us.

Me and Aspen knew everything there was to know about each other, we had no secrets. So when I told her I was going to wait, she was supportive, she just didn't feel the same way. What i didn't tell her was that, I doubt I will ever even find that person. I'm all fucked up in the head. I mean what teenage guy can't just go out and have sex with someone. I'm broken.

" Earth to Ashyton," Emery says snapping her fingers in front of my face with a teasing smile.

" Sorry, spaced out for a bit." I see Aspen look at me with concern, while the rest just stayed oblivious. Emery liked me. I knew she did, everyone did. But as much as I wanted to like her back, maybe even love her... I couldn't. We met Emery on our first day at school. She was getting picked on by some jocks, like 2 times the size of her because she was 'weird'. We scared them off, and with some convincing, she managed to make our duo into a trio.

" Where's Vee?" Aspen asked. Emery glances at her mischievously.

" Oh you know, she's with that mysterious boyfriend of hers," Ems says with a sly expression. I roll my eyes. It's Caleb. He told me last week and made me swear not to tell Easton. Not that it wasn't obvious already. At least to me it was. Didn't mean I couldn't tell Aspen though, even though her and Easton were a thing she was good at keeping secrets.

" Oh. Right."

" Aspen and Ashyton Willis please report to the principles office," the intercom crackles. We glance at each other in slight confusion. Normally when we broke the rules they didn't even bother calling us down anymore.

Walking out of the cafeteria doors we run straight into Vee coming in. I see Vee grab her hips to steady her from falling over, leaving them to linger for a second too long.

" Hey! What's the rush? Where you goin? Is everyone else in there? Did they ask where I was?" She rapidly fires off.

" Principles office. Yes. And yes they did," Aspen flatly states.

When we first met Ivy, me and her were really close. Which meant that she was also pretty close with Aspen. They've hooked up before, but Aspen said Vee was catching feelings. So Aspen broke it off before that could go any further.

It's caused a bit of a... strain in our friendship. But it was bound to happen. Vee said she wanted us to teach her self defense after seeing us box at Caleb's gym, but after awhile she just came to see him, not us. It kinda hurt. A little. So obviously, seeing that I was hurt by it. Aspen began to resent Ivy, which was part of the reason she broke it off with her.

"We should really go... it's probably important if they're calling us down there you know..." I say awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck. Aspen just rolls her eyes before walking away.

"Oh right. Right yeah. Well I guess I'll see you at the gym later ,right?"She asks with a hopeful smile. I just nod, and she walks in the cafeteria doors.

" Why'd you go ahead?" I ask, catching up to Aspen, who somehow made it to the end of the hallway.

" Seriously Ash," she slaps the back of my head, " You know i don't like her. She knows I don't like her. I just put up with her because of you." I just look away shamefully. Our little friend group has been falling apart, and I was struggling to push it together. I just couldn't bear to see it end.

" Hey. Don't do that. I would put up with her for the rest of our lives if it meant you were happy. But I know your not. Your not an awkward person Ashyton." She was right, as usual. I was losing my confidence.

I'm cut off from my thoughts when we make it to the main office. Instead of taking a seat in the waiting area, we walk straight back into the office area, pushing open the principles door.

Awaiting us, we see two police officers, and our principle sitting behind his desk. Aspen squeezes my hand in reassurance.

" What's going on Mr. Branson?" She asks our principle. He visibly gulps at the expression on her face. It was cold, it was an icy mask of indifference, but you could see a slight spark of anger in her eyes. Whereas I just kept up a mask of rage.

" T-these officers would like to speak to the two of you." He responds, looking back down at his folded hands.

" What can we help you with officers?" She asks politely, redirecting here gaze .

" Oh. Right. Um" The younger officer nervously rambles, " You might want to take a seat," he holds his hand out to the other two chairs. We don't move.

" Your foster parents, Lisa and Derrick Shaw were both found dead this morning in a McDonalds bathroom. Both it seems like, overdosed on heroin," the second, slightly older officer says. "We haven't been able to get into contact with your social worker yet, so we need you to come by the station so we can find out where your going from here."

" Well can we at least go back to the house and grab our stuff?" She asks.

" Yeah sure." He looks at us suspiciously, before seemingly coming to some sort of conclusion in his head and nodding. We wait for them to leave before following them out the door,and going out into the parking lot. They roll out with their siren on,and lights flashing which we both roll our eyes at.

" This is why i told you to watch them Ashyton," she sighs as i cringe.

" What are we going to do now?"

" Not much. We pack some essentials and go to the police station. It wouldn't make sense to run. No matter what , we will not be separated. I promise."

____________________________________

" Caleb! Are you home?"

"Kitchen!" I make my way through the house, while Aspen goes upstairs.

" What are you guys doing home so early? Where's Aspen?" He asks as I walk into the kitchen, a crease forming between his eyebrows. I walk up opposite to him at the kitchen island, glancing over the various paperwork littered along the surface.

" Packing. Lisa and Derrick are dead, we have to go to the station for a new placement." He looks up at me alarmed.

" What! No. Just stay here." Caleb was my closest friend, though i saw him as sort of a brother. He talks to me about his time overseas in the army, and I tell him about some of the things we went through in the compound. He owns a gym with an underground fighting ring, it was the only place I could release the anger.

" We can't," I shake my head, " They already contacted Chris. And they're expecting us, Aspen says that we just have to wait and see what happens and go from there."

" Oh, okay," he looks away, " just give me updates. Alright."

"Of course." I hear the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs before I see Aspen.

" Goodbye Caleb," she says walking out the front door. To make up for her short goodbye I walk over and give him a hug before leaving also.

I wonder if we'll ever see him again.

____________________________________

Released this chapter early this time! Thoughts on Ashyton??;)

1396 words