Chapter 5: Coming Home

🛑this chapter will have a violent description that will be sensitive to viewers

" We have no biological family." I feel Ash tense at my side. I could practically feel the hope radiating off of his frame. It made we want to punch some sense into him. This 'family' was probably the ones to sell us off the the Russians in the first place. 

" Yes actually you do. You have an older brother, Dimiri , who has agreed to take you both into his custody. The DNA matches," The sheriff says.

" How much time do we have?"

" None. He's on his way here now from the airport, coming from New York. He's actually communicated with me directly about speeding the paperwork along, it's been completed and now just needs to be processed into the system," he glances away nervously. He's hiding something. Ash catches it as well.

I stand up and walk over to his desk, leaning down over him.

" What exactly are you hiding Sheriff ?" I ask in a dark tone.

" Y-your brother. His name is Dimiri, Dimiri Rossi." Sweat beads along his forehead and splashes onto his desk. Gross.

Rossi. Where have I heard that name before...I look up to Ash as he makes the realization at the same time. Rossi. As in the Rossi's. The Italian-American Mafia. It wasn't a secret, hasn't been in a long time. Law enforcement could never actually catch them doing anything illegal. To most people, the Rossi's were a business. A highly successful legal business. But even just looking a little bit deeper you found the truth. And since me and Ash were already involved in the underground, we knew.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. The Italian-American Mafia and the Russian Mafia were long time enemies. So my previous assumption about being sold off is most likely false. Though it doesn't mean they are good people...being good is overrated anyway, I would be a hypocrite not to think so.

The sheriffs phone begins to ring, picking it up and answering he lets out a relieved smile, before putting it back down.

" Your brothers are here."

" Brothers?" We have more than the one?

" Yes. Two of your brothers are here." Jesus Christ. Wait. Brothers, not mom or dad. How did I not catch that before. Looking over I see a twinge of sadness on Ashytons face, one that for once makes it onto mine as well. It would've been nice to have parents.

Walking back out to the front of the station I spot two suit cladded figures up at the front desk. I guess this was them. I hold Ashytons hand for comfort, and keep a blank expression on my face. Waiting for him to do the same, we couldn't allow them to see any true nervousness we would likely display yet. Just because they were are brothers didn't mean we could trust them. And I knew that no matter how much Ash wanted to, he followed my lead.