Chapter 8: Grave

I slam the door to my room closed, not bothering to lock it as I rush over to my dresser pulling out drawer after drawer to look for my stash

I slam the door to my room closed, not bothering to lock it as I rush over to my dresser pulling out drawer after drawer to look for my stash. What the fuck! It's gone. Everything is gone.

I slide my fingers through my hair,pulling tightly on the strands, working to calm my breath. I tense hearing the door softly open and close from behind me.

" I flushed it," River says quietly but with steel. My chest tightens painfully. I wanted to be mad.But I was just resigned. I refused to look his way, I just picked out a random shirt and sweatpants from my open drawers. Shouldering my way past him into the bathroom to take a shower.

I sigh as I hear the slam of my door. He didn't understand. No one did. No one ever will.

I was already in a bad place with the twins coming home, and now I couldn't even take anything to get through this shopping trip. I haven't gotten high in weeks, trying to distance myself from all drugs after River caught me. I'm screwed if he were to tell Dimiri, he would send me straight to rehab, and I don't need that shit. I'm not a drug addict.

I was glad they were home. I really was. But I didn't trust them. Especially after everything that has happened to our family, they could be using us for our money. They couldn't of had it good in foster care that's for sure.

Stepping out of the shower, i quickly got dried off and dressed, preparing to be the asshole of the day.

Arriving at the mall, the 5 of us exited the SUV to an almost empty parking lot

" Not very busy is it?" I ask Gray pointedly. The only "older" brother that decided to join us, Dawson was the most excited I have seen him, and Rowan was pissed, maybe due to the fact that River declined the invitation to come.

" It was busy, it isn't anymore," he leads the group to the front entrance, opening the door with a grin.

" You shut down the mall. For an hour shopping trip," Ash exclaims.

" Wait. We're only shopping for an hour!" Dawson sputters, slightly glaring at Gray as if betrayed. His cheeks redden when we glance at him in question.

" Oh yeah, Dawson loves to go shopping," Rowan chuckles with a fond expression. Holy shit! He can be nice. As if realizing his error he quickly sets his face into a glare which is unfortunately still aimed in Dawsons direction, causing him to slightly flinch. What an absolute dick! What I thought was a nice comment quickly turned disdainful. At least it is to Dawson, who quickly walks away fiddling with the end of his sleeve. The three of us all give deadly expressions towards Rowan, well Grayson looks to be more disappointed than angry but still.

We all walk in to a store behind Dawson, perusing the racks of clothing, grabbing pretty much anything that catches our eyes. While we didn't grow up with anything, like literally anything. The moment we first got money of our own, we spent it. It was the most liberating experience of my life. To make my own money and even spend it on items not necessary to myself or my twins survival.

We of course begin saving from then on, but ever since, shopping has became a sort of outlet. Me more so than Ash. I wasn't a shopaholic or anything, but I did immensely enjoy it. Plus all of our clothes were still at Caleb's house.

4 hours later and countless bags from everyone, we were on our way back to the house. Rowan has been quiet for the most part which I'm glad for. I think he expected they would pay for everything, but I just wasn't comfortable with that. Though I did allow them to pay for items Grayson specifically encouraged, we got each a new laptop and phone.  I could see the questions burning in Graysons eyes, how could two foster kids pay hundreds of dollars on clothes? But he didn't ask, surprisingly.

Dawson was fast asleep, resting on my shoulder. I wanted to throw him off, but I also had this uncontrollable urge to protect him. Utterly ridiculous considering I have only known him for like a day, but I have good instincts . The family dynamic surrounding him was so...off. You could tell the love was there, but there was this unexplainable distance between him and everyone else.

I slightly jostle him awake when we arrive causing him to shoot up and look at me with wide eyes. I try to give him a smile but I think it comes off as more of a grimace because he quickly rushes out the door.

Walking into the house, Gray goes straight to the kitchen to make dinner while everyone else goes up to their rooms.

____________________________________

Later that night me and Ash both startle awake to the sound of a window slamming shut.

" I'll go check it out don't worry." He still gives me a apprehensive look but stays put while I grab my gun and creep out of the room. Turning the corner at the end of the hallway a tall figure dressed in all black frantically try's to lock the latch on the window, whispering curses to himself. I walk with silent feet up behind him, keeping my gun pointed in his direction. I then jab my gun roughly into the back of his neck, causing him to immediately stop moving and whispering to himself. He puts his hands up in surrender but I keep quiet, waiting for him to make the first move. A few minutes go by and his hands start to shake, his breaths getting erratic and irregular.

" Who the fuck are you," he says gruffly but I detect a hint of desperation in his voice. I pull the back of his shirt, gliding my gun slowly around his body as I turn him to face me. Rowan's eyes widen once he sees me, causing me to lightly smirk. I let my gun drop to my side, standing there silently.

" What the fuck is wrong with you! And why do you even have a gun!" He glares at me but breaks eye contact, glancing down both sides of the hallway. When I stay silent he scoffs before grabbing my arm and pulling me towards his room, pushing me though the doorway. As soon as he closes the door I slap him harshly, pinching his chin in between by fingers, pulling his face towards mine.

" Touch me like that again, and I will remove your arm from your body. Do you understand?" He rapidly nods his head up and down, darting his dilated eyes across the room. He takes a few steps backwards when I let him go, letting out a sigh of relief. Really. This guy is in the mafia. In the ruling family no less. It's pathetic, he looks coked out. I smile victoriously when he turns around, yanking a plastic bag from his back pocket.

" So, you sampling your own product druggie?" He gives me big panicked eyes as he reaches for the bag from my hand.

" Fuck.Give it back.You need to mind your own fucking business bitch. It's not for me anyway, and you better not tell anyone it is." But it was. And it seems like this is the first time in a while he's indulged. I give him a frown.

"Next time when u need your fix, close the window quieter. You woke me up ." I flash my teeth with a vicious grin as his features begin to pull into a snarl, but before he can say anything I set the bag down on the dresser and walk out the door. He can dig his own grave.

____________________________________
Little filler chapter
1322 words