Mad Max

Continuation of the previous chapter:-

"Hwan?...." Lee whispered slowly, recognizing the infected man before him.

How could it be? 

Seo Hwan, his best friend, and partner of almost two years was only 5 feet away from him, limping. The man was coughing up blood and howling absolute nonsense. It seemed just like yesterday that he greeted Lee in the morning with his favorite cup of coffee to cheer him up whenever he was stressed. 

Although it was ironic how this morning was ruined by a careless scientist with a knack for bumping into people as he disposed of his waste.

All those late nights the two of them stayed up either chatting or working together. All those memories were suddenly flushed away.

"Hwan...is that you?" Lee felt his heart shatter but he dared not step further. 

It would just endanger them both, he knew his best friend wasn't in his right mind. Hwan needed help and Lee knew that he wouldn't be of any use to his best friend if he contracted the virus too. At least, that was what he told himself, possibly to make himself feel less guilty for not doing anything at that moment.

"Lee help me..." he moaned out in pain.

"Doctor..." the commander warned him when he noticed Lee taking a shaky step forward. Hwan, the infected man, furrowed his brows at the soldier's words as if he was trying to understand him. It seemed like he was having difficulty trying to translate foreign languages in his head.

"Not making...any sense..." he groaned all of a sudden, shaking his head vigorously. The commander stepped back slowly as the battered scientist distracted himself.

"Hwan...listen...you're sick.. but don't worry. I'll fix it... I promise I'll fix it okay?" Lee used his hands to calm the hyperventilating man in front of them.

"Stop..talking.." he grunted and clutched onto his head. But Lee continued.

"You just have to listen to me okay? Can you do that for me? I-"

"Stop talking..." he whispered this time, breathing heavily as he crouched down into a squat.

"Stop talking, stop talking, stop talking, STOP TALKING!" he screamed looking up, completely mad.

"Hwan I-"

The infected scientist's body suddenly stiffened, his bloodied eyes rolled up to the back of his head and he collapsed. His mouth stayed open in a silent scream of terror as foam frothed at the corners. Not even a second later and his body jerked up into an arch as if his spine had snapped into two. He started convulsing violently, his arms moving around in an irregular motion.

The commander jumped back in surprise and moved his hand to ensure that Lee wouldn't advance toward the spasming body on the floor. Thick tears cascaded down the scientist's face at the sight of his best friend. 

A raw sob escaped Lee's mouth when Hwan stilled.

Another scream, worse than before, erupted from Hwan's ravaged throat, it came out sounding like the roar of an enraged animal. The man finally got control of his arms and pressed them against the sides of his head, twisting this way and that, as if he were trying to screw the thing right off his neck. The screams kept coming, broken up by the only two words he seemed to know.

"MY HEAD! MY HEAD! MY HEAD!"

"Hwan," Lee whispered, knowing there was no way he could try to communicate with his colleague now. And despite how guilty and sick it made him feel, Lee also knew he couldn't possibly go to him. It would be beyond stupid and irrational. Not to mention the man was scared to death.