Chapter 27

Chapter 27:

ASHTON'S POV:

When I got home my mom was waiting on the sidewalk. I jumped out of Calum's car and walked right up to her, wrapping my arms around her. She felt so familiar, and I wanted nothing more than to collapse in her arms. I was exhausted. "Welcome home, Ash." She whispered, trying to pull back to get a good look at me. I refused to let her go, burying my face in her neck.

"Ash, what's the matter?" She whispered, rubbing her hand up and down my back. I didn't answer, I just started crying into her shoulder like the giant six-foot-tall baby that I was.

"Where's Natalie?" She asked, practically pushing me away from her so she could see my face. She rested her hands on my cheeks and looked into my eyes, a small frown on her lips.

"I-I don't know." I bit my lip, wiping under my eyes with the back of my hand.

She shook her head slightly and pulled me forward, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead. "Let's get your things inside, and then I want you to tell me all about it. Alright?"

"Okay." I mumbled, nodding my head. She started to walk away from me to help unload when something clicked in my head. I had come home for her and for the first time since being unexpectedly separated from Natalie I was beginning to realize it.

"Mom, wait." I gently grabbed her arm and pulled her back into another hug. "Are you okay?" I asked, holding her even tighter when I heard her sniffle in my ear.

"I don't want to talk about it, Ash... He's just gone." She said quietly. "I'm sorry I couldn't make him stay." She whispered, softly patting my back.

"Mom, don't apologize for him. He is a dick, and leaving was his choice and his mistake. You didn't do this." Mom had a tender heart, of course she would think that my dad leaving was her fault. It wasn't, though. It was anybody's fault but his own.

"Don't say dick." She chuckled quietly, wiping her eyes. I rolled my eyes and followed her to the car, picking up as many boxes as I could carry and taking them to my room. "Thanks for coming home." She said, rolling my suitcase into the room. "I love you, Ash." She smiled, resting her hand on my shoulder.

"I love you, too, mom." I smiled and followed her back outside to help Calum and Michael finish unloading.

Once the car was empty I walked Michael and Calum outside. "Thanks for your help, guys." I said, leaning into the open window was Calum started up the car.

"It's no problem, Ashton, really. We're glad you're back." Michael said, running his hands through his hair and making it messier than it was before.

"Yeah, me too..." I sighed, a small smile on my face.

"Really?" Calum challenged, and I chuckled.

"Yeah, I really am. I'm just sad that Nats isn't here." I sighed, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Yet." Michael jumped in. "Natalie isn't here yet. She's coming Ash, I know it. Just hang in there." He smiled, nudging my shoulder.

"Yeah?" I asked, my smile widening a bit.

"Do you really think she isn't?" Calum scoffed, turning in his seat. "Natalie is so in love with you, it's sick."

My eyes started to well up with tears and I laughed, quickly wiping my eyes. "Shut up." I sniffed, taking a step back from the car when Cal put it into drive. It was easy for them to believe Natalie was coming because they hadn't seen what Marcus could do. It's not that I thought Natalie wasn't coming... I just didn't know what had happened to her to make her miss our flight.