Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I told myself not to forget to put my bike away, not to push my luck...  But I did forget.  After two days my dad had finally lost patience and my luck was gone.  There was no way I was going home until I was sure he was asleep.  But would it be worse if I didn’t go home right now, if I avoided him longer?  "You don't need to go, do you?"  Ashton asked, looking over at me as I stared at my phone.  “Um… no?”  I said, my reply sounding like a question.  I clenched my hands into fists, nervous.  I wasn’t sure what was best to do.  He spun the stool around to face me, a smirk on his face.  “I dare you to stay.”  He said, setting his drumsticks down.  “We could watch a movie.”  He smiled, glancing down at my hands as he set his drumsticks down.  “Done."  I replied, standing up.  I needed an excuse to not go home, and now I had one.  “But you have to pick.”  He groaned, following me out of the room.  “I hate picking.”  He grumbled from behind me as we walked down the hall.  “This one’s all you.”

 I didn’t want to pick, either.  I turned on my heel to face him, placing my hand on his chest to stop him before he crashed into me.  “I dare you to pick.” I said, blushing when Ashton placed his hand over mine, holding it against his chest.  “That was cheap.”  He smiled, taking a step toward me.  “And a waste of a dare.”  He sighed as he dropped his hand, stepping around me.  He crouched in front of the TV and pulled one of the drawers open, taking his time in picking a movie.  I plopped down on the couch, clenching my hands into fists again.  My fingernails dug into the palms of my hands, giving me something to focus on besides the fact that my dad was waiting for me back home. 

Ashton sat down next to me on the small couch and took my wrist in his hands, pulling my fist into his lap.  “Why do you always do that?”  He asked, tracing my knuckles with his fingertips.  “N-nervous tick.”  I stuttered, clearing my throat to try and cover it up.  “I make you nervous?”  He teased, smirking at me.  I rolled my eyes, and looked at the screen.  I wish the only thing I had to be nervous about was Ashton.  Life would be much easier… 

I wasn’t paying any attention to the movie at all, and I don’t think Ashton was either.  All I could think about was his hand around my fist.  He rubbed small circles on the back of my hand with his thumb until I finally relaxed, the thought of my dad gradually slipping from my mind with each touch.  I slowly uncurled my fingers, leaning into Ashton’s side as I relaxed.  He took the opportunity to twine his fingers with mine, glancing at me nervously before looking back at the screen.  I smiled to myself, giving his hand a light squeeze to let him know that it was okay.  I felt my eyelids drooping as Ashton continued to rub the pad of his thumb across the top of my hand and let my head rest on his shoulder, watching as a smile slowly spread across his face. 

The next thing I knew, I was waking up to the ending credits.  Ashton’s arm was draped across my shoulders, my head resting on his chest.  I looked up, ready to apologize for falling asleep, only to see that Ashton was completely zonked.  I sat up slowly, my body still trying to wake up.  “Ashton?”  I whispered, tapping his nose with my index finger.  He groaned, swatting my hand away.  “I can go if you’d rather sleep.”  I teased, standing up.  He grabbed my waist and pulled me back down onto the couch, wrapping his arm around my shoulders again. 

“Why can’t we just nap?”  He yawned, keeping his eyes closed.  I laughed, standing up again.  “We just took a nap.”  I pointed out, pulling him up from the couch.  “Excellent observation, Natalie.”  He joked, walking into the kitchen.  He started opening drawers and cupboards, pulling out plates, bread, peanut butter and bananas.  “You still like peanut butter-banana sandwiches?”  He asked, opening the bread.  “Of course.”  I smiled, sitting in one of the tall stools behind the counter as Ashton placed two slices of bread on each plate.