Chapter 4

Chapter 4: 

                My phone rang at six thirty in the morning, waking me three hours before my alarm.  I groaned, reaching through the dark to find it.  I squinted at the bright screen to see who it was before picking it up.  “Kat?”  I grumbled, closing my eyes.  “It’s six thirty.” 

“Honey, I am so sorry to do this to you, I really am.”  She said, rambling out apologies before I knew why they were necessary.  “Sorry for what, Kat?  What do you need?”  I asked, burying myself beneath my comforter.  “Honey, I need you to open up the store and take a morning shift.”  She clarified. I sighed, grimacing.  “Please, honey, I’m so sorry!”  She whined, a little too loudly, into the phone. 

                I held the phone away from my ear as she continued to apologize.  What could I do to get out of this?  I buried my face in my pillow.  “Come on, Natalie, think.”  I groaned, tapping my fingers against the mattress in a steady rhythm, trying to concentrate.   My head snapped up, staring at my fingers.  “Kat, I have plans today.”  I smiled.  Thank you, Ashton. 

                “Well, crap…”  She muttered.  “What time?” She asked.  I sighed, dropping my face into my pillow again.  “One thirty.”  I mumbled, my voice muffled against bed.  “You don’t have to stay until three!”  She offered.  “You can leave in time to get where you need getting to.” 

 I sighed, sitting up.  “Damn you.” I breathed, rubbing my eyes.

“What was that, hon?” 

Oops.  “I’ll be there.”  I said quickly, clearing my throat. 

“Perfect!  Thank you so much!  You’ve got Sam, Nick and Scott.”  She said, hanging up the phone.  I threw my phone into the mess of sheets and turned on my lamp.  Not only did I have to work the early shift on my day off, I had to work with Scott. 

                The store opened at eight, but being the opening manager with the key, I had to arrive fifteen minutes early.  I showered and dressed, grabbing my new sketchbook and stuffing it in my purse before I left my room.  The store wasn’t too busy in the morning. 

When I opened my bedroom door, I jumped. 

                “Dad.”  I said, stepping behind the door, closing it slightly.  He pushed the door open roughly, the doorknob slamming into my hip.  “Where are you going?”  He grumbled, his eyes half closed from sleep.  “I got called in for the morning shift…” I muttered, slinging my purse over my shoulder and taking a step back.  He rocked forward on his toes and I leaned back, keeping my distance.  I held my breath for a moment before he finally fell back on his heels and walked down the hall, slamming his bedroom door. 

I ran down the stairs and grabbed a granola bar and an apple, the desire to get out of the house stronger than the want for a hot breakfast.  My bike was still in the front yard, the seat and handles dusted with a light coat of pollen.  I was surprised my dad hadn’t mentioned it yet.  I wiped off the pollen and hopped on, making a mental note to put it in the garage this time when I returned home.  I was lucky that it had gone unnoticed, and I didn’t want to push that luck.

I took a deep breath as I rode down the sidewalk, the cool morning air filling my lungs.  It was exhilarating, freeing, almost like being on the swing.  The only difference was that a bicycle could actually take you places, take you away.  I sped up, my hair tickling my neck as the breeze blew it over my shoulder.  When I rounded the corner, I saw Scott and Nick waiting by the door.  Scott looked up, smiling at me as he waved.  Nick was... well, Nick was being Nick.  He was scuffing his shoe against the concrete, not paying any attention to what was happening around him.