Chapter 20

{A/N:  This update is a little shorter.. but I just wanted to update for you guys, so it is what it is!! I hope you like it!! I only have a few chapters left of this one, and I'm kind of sad about it. Haha. But I still have a few things that need to happen before it ends, and I'm so excited!! Enjoy it, and let me know what you think!! Thank you guys so much for reading! Much love!!}

Chapter 20:

                When Ashton and I got to his apartment, he hesitated before opening the door.  “What is it?”  I asked, not sure what was stopping him. 

“I was an ass to my best friends.”  He frowned, his shoulders slumping.  “I need to apologize.  I shouldn’t have yelled at them like that, they didn’t do anything… I just…”  He sighed, running a hand through his hair.  “I just lost it, Nats.” 

“It’s okay, Ash.  You didn’t mean it.”  I said, squeezing his hand.  “It wasn’t the best news for you to hear, I’m sure that they’ll understand…” 

“Do you really think that?”  He asked, hesitantly turning the knob.

“Of course I do.  They love you, Ashton.”  I smiled, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.  He smiled back and opened the door, leading me inside.

ASHTON’S POV:

“Do you really think that?”  I asked, barely turning the doorknob.  I wasn’t sure if I was ready to go inside just yet. 

I was such a dick. 

Calum, Michael and Luke were only doing what my mother had asked, I really shouldn’t be mad at them.  And my mom?  I couldn’t be mad at her either.  She was only doing what she thought was best for me, and she didn’t want me to worry.  She wanted me to enjoy this time with my friends.  There was no way in hell I could be mad at Natalie.  She was the only reason I had even come back to my apartment.  I would be lost without her.  Really, I should be mad at my bastard of a father for leaving.

And I was.

“Of course I do.  They love you, Ashton.”  Natalie smiled, making all the anger I was feeling toward my father in that moment disappear.  She squeezed my hand and I smiled back at her, wondering how I would have gotten through this without her.

I probably wouldn’t have.

I opened the door and led her inside, holding tightly onto her hand.

The boys were all sitting on the couch with their heads in their hands, anxiously waiting for us to return.  The door clicked closed and they all looked up, none of them knowing exactly what they should do.

“I’m sorry.”  I said, and Luke jumped up from the couch, crossing the room in three long strides and enveloping both Natalie and I into a tight hug.

“I accept your apology, you asshole.”  He muttered.  Luke was a worrier, and I probably sent his stress level through the roof by walking out like I did.  He was probably worried enough about having to break the news, and I only made it worse by responding the way I had.

“I’m sorry.”  I whispered, wrapping my free arm around him and hugging him back just as tightly.  I heard him whisper a quiet ‘thank you’ to Natalie and smiled into Luke’s shoulder.  She deserved that thank you, she deserved Luke’s gratitude.  She was the reason I had made it back here in one piece.

Calum and Michael stood and hugged Natalie and I as well, and I continued to tell all of them again and again how sorry I was that I had acted so rudely toward them.  None of them had any control of what my father had done, and I shouldn’t have gotten so mad at them.