Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

                “Ashton Irwin.”  I said, shaking my head in amazement.  Who would have thought?  I chuckled, weighing some bananas on the scanner.  “What is it?” He smiled, meeting my gaze.  “What are you doing here?  Did your family move back?  Where are you living?  How have you… been…?”  I slowly trailed off, realizing that I was probably overwhelming him.  “Sorry…”  I said, blushing.  He laughed and walked around to my side of the counter, his shoulder bumping mine as he stood beside me.  “Well.” He started, placing his groceries into a plastic bag.  “To answer your first question, I am back because this place is my home.  I missed the place, and I missed the people.”  He smiled at me, taking the bananas from my hands.  “As for my family, no, they didn’t move back.  For now, it’s just me.  Since I’m here all by my lonesome, my parents are helping me keep a small apartment a few blocks from my old house.”  He finished, walking back to the other side of the counter.  “And I have been great, thanks for asking.”  He winked, reaching for his wallet.  I felt my cheeks flush.  “Twenty one even.”  I said, taking the fifty from his hands. 

“So when did you get back?”  I asked, opening the register and placing the fifty inside.  “I am officially back as of this morning.”  He said, fighting a yawn.  “Just in time for the summer.”  He smiled lazily, his eyes tired.  I closed the till and handed him his change.  “Thanks.”  He smiled, looping his fingers through the plastic bags.  “I’ll see you soon.”  He said, picking up the bags.  “You are one of the few people in this town that I actually want to know.”  He smiled at me again before turning to leave.  He sounded so sure that we would see each other again and the idea excited me.  He stood before the automatic doors, looking back at me with a confused look on his face when they didn’t open.  I laughed, taking off my apron. 

“I’m sorry, I forgot.  I turned them off after you came in.  Hang tight for one sec?” I asked, hoping he would stay while I closed up.  “Sure.” He set his bags down on the counter.  “Do you need any help?”  He asked.  “I just need to grab my purse.  I’ll be right back.”  I ran to the back room and hung up my apron, slinging my purse over my shoulder.  I jogged back up to the front and opened the metal door to the power box.  “Ready?”  I asked, looking up at him.  “For…?”  I smirked.  “You might want to get a hold of those bags.”  I said, watching as he picked up his bags in one hand.  I typed in the four digit security code and hit the red button, the entire store going black as the lights went out. 

“Okay… I can’t see.”  Ashton said, making me laugh.  I stood and slipped my hand into his, blushing at my boldness.  Thank goodness he couldn’t see me.  He laced his fingers with mine and followed as I led him through the darkness.  I had this place memorized.  I led him outside and slid my hand from his as I turned to lock the door, his face visible now from the streetlights in the parking lot.  Looking around, I didn’t see any cars.  “Did you walk here?”  I asked, dropping my keys into my purse.  “I did.”  He smiled.  “I like to be outside.”  I smiled back.  “Which way are you going?”  I asked, flexing my fingers as I remembered the warmth of his hand.  I walked around him, took my bike by the handles, and began to walk.  He walked beside me, his shoulder occasionally bumping mine as we walked. 

We walked in silence for a moment before Ashton spoke.  “Is it my turn to ask questions?”  He asked, smirking down at me.  My stomach sank.  I had asked about his family… what was I going to say if he asked about mine?  “Ask away.”  I said, trying my best to smile.  “Okay…” He said, thinking.  “You’re still living in the same house, right?”  He asked.  “Right.”  I confirmed, relaxing a little.  “And your family?”  He asked.  “How are they?”  There it was.  My hand moved to my neck, lightly grazing the bump with my fingertips before I spoke.  I cleared my throat.  “Fine.”  I replied simply, squeezing the handlebars beneath my hands.  We rounded the corner, heading up my street.   I wasn’t going to elaborate if I didn’t have to.  Thankfully, that answer seemed to satisfy him for now.  He bit his bottom lip, debating something.