Chapter 22

Chapter 22:
"Thanks for taking all of this junk." I said, standing on my toes and wrapping my arms around Luke's neck. The boys had helped us pack up for the last two days so Ashton and I could send most of our things home with them, and now the time had come for them to leave.

"You're welcome." Luke chuckled lightly in my ear and dropped his bag so he could hug me goodbye. "We'll see you soon." He smiled, untangling himself from me and clapping Ashton on the back. I moved on to Calum, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Bye, Natalie." He yawned, burying his face in the crook of my neck. It was only 9 in the morning, but Cal was having trouble staying awake. I told him goodbye and was about to pull away when Michael hugged me from behind, wrapping his arms around both Calum and I.

"Naughty Natalie..." Michael paused to yawn. "Sandwich." He finished, resting his forehead on my shoulder. "Bye, Michael." I laughed and wiggled my way out of their arms, hugging them both one more time.

I slipped my hand into Ashton's and twined our fingers together, looking up at Luke. "Let them sleep on the plane." I said, and he grimaced. "Just for a little while." I smiled, remembering how Luke had kept Michael and Calum up on the entire 16 hour flight here.
"No promises." He shrugged, picking up his bag and swinging it over his shoulder. "I'm wide awake." He smirked. We looked over to see Michael and Calum sleepily walking away to board the plane and Michael's backpack sitting on the ground as they left. Luke quickly caught up to them and picked up Michael's bag, rolling his eyes and waving goodbye one last time before they boarded the plane.

"One more week." I said, looking up at Ashton. "One more week." He repeated, smiling as he tightened his hold on my hand and led me out of the airport.

"Are you excited to go home?" I asked, letting go of Ashton's hand and getting into the car. Once I was buckled and the car was started I took his hand again, waiting for his answer.

"I am." He smiled, drawing small circles onto the back of my hand with his thumb. "It's kind of a weird feeling, actually." He said, staring down on my hand as he traced the lines of my palm.

"What's weird about wanting to go home?" I asked, not really understanding.

"I'm excited, but the closer we get to actually leaving, the more worried about my mom I get. What if I don't know how to comfort her?" He explained, briefly glancing up at me before looking back down.

"You don't need to worry about that, Ash. She asked you to come home because she needs you. All you need to do is be there for her and show her how much you love her and she'll be fine." I said, squeezing his hand.

"You really think so?" He asked, biting his lip.

"I know so. You did it for me, Ash." I said quietly, turning onto my street. I glanced over just in time to see the corners of his mouth turn up into a small smile. He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed the back of my hand, the tip of his nose brushing across my knuckles.

"Thank you, Nats." He mumbled against my hand, kissing it one more time before returning it to his lap.

I pulled into the driveway and killed the engine, checking under the crack in the garage to make sure that Marcus had gone to work already.

I got out and Ashton followed, slipping his hand into mine as we walked.

"Are you excited, Nats?" He asked, patiently waiting for me to unlock the door. "To come with me, I mean."

"Is that a trick question, Irwin?" I smirked, pulling him into the house and closing the door.

"No." He chuckled, leaning back against the door and pulling me into his chest. "It's a serious question, and I would like a serious answer." He wrapped his arms around my waist and looked down at me. "So, are you excited?" He asked again, this time wanting my 'serious answer.'