Chapter 2 (Introductions)

Y/N POV

The thing about your city is that it's very well protected.

Terrible things from the outside world are kept out such as wars, international crime, and, well, jaguars. That also means that the crappy things that are inside the city stay inside the city because there's a rainforest around it and no one bothers to leave. The people have everything they could possibly need and there is never a reason to leave.

You thought about this as the jaguar slowly eased closer. Your heart thumped in your ears and you felt a little dizzy with fear. Did it see you? Of course, it did! You fought the urge to risk your chances and make a run for it. There would be no way that you'd make it to the city but maybe you could get away?

No. There was no way you could outrun it.

The jaguar crept closer, tall thin leaves of fresh grass rustling as it moved. You held your breath and hunched down in the greenery, thanking the Saints that you were short enough to hide in the grass. You squeezed your eyes shut and slipped your hands over your mouth, listening as the animal drew closer. You could hear the hum of crickets and mosquitoes jumping and buzzing past your ear.

You flinched every time one drew close- you hated bugs and they certainly were not helping your situation. You could hear the sounds of a mosquito's buzzing wings as it fluttered around your ear. You tried to flick it away but the stubborn little thing stuck close and attached itself to the side of your face. You gave a little yelp and slapped it away when you felt a faint poke at your skin.

Immediately, you heard the roar of the jaguar and screamed as its massive figure jumped overhead. It heard you and it was attacking. You crouched into a small ball as you felt the breeze whip past you as the cat landed. Your heart skipped a beat as it flew past you and-

You looked up. The jaguar was running past you and chasing a deer. You watched with wide eyes as it whipped past, feeling your body tremble with relief and shock. You were okay.

Without much thought, you broke off into a sprint as you ran in the opposite direction of the animals, holding onto your glasses so that they wouldn't fall. You headed towards the small village and ran even faster as you felt your body tire. There was no way that you'd experience that again. You got lucky and wasn't about to waste the opportunity to get away as fast as you could.

+++

You must have looked like a mess as you ran down the cobblestone streets. You only briefly remembered the approaching view of the town's lights. It was a beauty you didn't want to risk admiring again. You were surprised to see that people were still out and about on the streets. It must have been at least 12:00 in the morning. Still, music filled the streets in rhythmic pulses. The crowds were small but full. It was a welcoming feeling.

Even though you had mud on your legs and sandals, and leaves in your hair, villagers of all ages pulled you in to dance in the streets. They twirled you around and clapped and you tried to smile but exhaust pulled at your body so much that you had no energy for dancing. You felt your eyes flutter and despite the noise, you figured that you could have fallen asleep right there on the streets.

That is until you saw a large bird with a colourful beak swoop down and a small child no older than the age of five gripped your hands and pulled you around in circles. He laughed and giggled and you couldn't help but try to dance with him too. He was a cute little boy with dark chocolaty skin and beautiful curly hair. Its coils jumped as he danced and the animals that surrounded him moved with his clumsy rhythm, cawing, and chittering as he laughed.

As you moved down the streets together, you caught glimpses of bright yellow houses with stone foundations and Spanish tiles. Each house was decorated with lanterns and lights and on every corner that you turned, there was someone who played music.