Chapter 18 (16)

Y/N's POV

I woke up at the same time that I usually did as if it were any other day. Birds chirped outside of Mirabel's window and there was not a cloud in the sky. The morning scenery matched my good mood, and even though it looked like just any day, it wasn't. And I wondered why everyone acted like it was.

The Madrigals greeted me with a wish of good morning. I thanked them.

We ate breakfast as we usually did, making small talk and discussing the chores we'd have to do.

Anita ate breakfast beside Bruno. It looked like their relationship was getting serious, and Mirabel wiggled her eyebrows at me and whispered, "she must have slept over," in which I resisted the urge to throw up my breakfast. Don't get me wrong- I like Bruno. That doesn't mean that I need to see him in that light, though!

I cleaned the kitchen with Mirabelle. Camilo helped me put the plates away and the Madrigals did their chores. I went to the dressmaker shop and wondered if they forgot.

Did they forget? Did I have the dates mixed up? With one quick glance at the calendar that hung above my boss' desk, I knew that it was indeed the day I thought it was.

"Mr. Muñoz," I said, glancing at my boss. He was sweeping the floor around his desk, carefully stepping over his dust piles and discarded cloth. "What day is it?" I asked. He glanced at his calendar with squinted behind his glasses.

"Why, it's Thursday, I reckon," He told me. I pursed my lips.

"Do you know what's so special about today?" I asked. My boss gave me a little shrug.

"Remind me, will you? I am getting old," he said. I let a heavy sigh escape my lungs as I stiffly shook my head.

"Nevermind," I told him. I knew that I wasn't special like the Madrigals. I didn't have special powers for people to celebrate and I wasn't even a real resident in the town. Still, I'd hoped that I was significant enough for people to remember that it was my birthday.

+++

The day was long and slow. A few customers came in to buy dresses for an upcoming event, but I spent most of my day mending clothes and receiving lessons from my boss. He taught me about layering clothes for colder climates. It wasn't something that we had to worry about in this party of the country but it was still good to know.

I found myself staring out of the big glass window that peeked out into the town as minutes turned to hours that passed. My shift was almost over but I had almost no desire to go home. It wasn't like I had much to look forward to.

I was getting ready to pack up and head back to the Madrigal house when I heard the large bell over the door chime. I looked over to the front of the store, calling, "We're almost closed for the day," but I didn't see anyone.

I furrowed my brows and took a few steps closer, wondering if it was the wind that had made the bell chime. Mr. Muñoz was nowhere in sight and I figured that he'd stepped out of the store for a moment. I turned to find my bag but sitting behind me was a large capibara. I nearly tripped over the poor thing.
"Chispi?" I asked when I recognized that it was Antonio's. The small animal sat and stared at me with blank half-lidded eyes. "Where's Antonio?" I asked. It stared at me as it began to chew on the skirt of a dress that hung from a rack.
"No!" I yelped and yanked it away. I picked up the animal with a sigh, ignoring its weight as I set it down on my chair. I collected my things and was about to pick Chispi up once more and set him outside to follow me home.
The capibara scrambled off of my chair and fell to the floor, standing up once more and waddling to the back of the store. I followed it with wonder and watched as it led me to the dress that I'd finished making for my birthday. I'd been so excited to wear it, but now I didn't see a point in putting it on since everyone had forgotten about it.