Chapter 3 (Camilo)

Y/N POV

You woke up the next day to the sound of yelling outside of Mirabel's room. The Madrigal family was kind enough to offer you a home to sleep in until you figured out what you were going to do. You slept on the floor of the nursery with a blanket draped around your shoulders and a soft cot underneath you. Though it wasn't much, you had just about the best sleep you'd had in a very long time.

You slipped out of your cot and folded your blanket before sliding on your sandals and one of Mirabel's dresses, peeking through the dark teal door that lead to the rest of the house. The muffled shouts were louder then and you could hear the sound of small children laughing and yelling. Their light footsteps filled the hallway and you watched as three children ran past the door.

Just as you were about to leave the room to find Mirabel or Abuela, a light knock filled your ears and you jumped away from the door with a yelp.

"Oops, sorry," said a voice from the other side of the door. It opened a little wider and you saw a lady that was taller than you standing with her hand on the doorknob. Her hair was slightly graying and she had a very similar appearance to Maribel.

"Are you Mirabel's mother?" You asked after greeting her. She gave you a warm smile.

"I am," She said and opened the door so you could see her in entirety.

"Breakfast is ready if you'd like to eat," She said and you followed her down the hall.

Mirabel fell into step with you and she slid her arm around yours.

"Well good morning, sleepyhead," She said as we stepped outside of the house and into the bright daylight. To your surprise, the table that stood only a few meters from the house was full of what you assumed to be the rest of the Madrigal family.

You've never been that great with big crowds, especially ones full of people that you don't know. You hesitated to step forward but Mirabel pulled you along with an encouraging grin.

"Don't worry," She said. "We don't bite- well maybe Parce does, but Antonio won't let him," She said, gesturing to the jaguar that was sitting next to the youngest of the Madrigals.

You jumped away from it as you recalled the sight of the jaguar that you'd seen the night before. You remembered everything that happened from its eyes that shined in the moonlight to its thin spotted coat.

The jaguar before you barely looked at you- it was too busy eyeing Antonio's plate. You stood next to Mirabel at the end of the table. She said that it was usually smaller but ever since the return of Bruno, the Casita adjusted it to fit more people.

As soon as you found an empty spot, you heard the sound of a bright yellow chair sliding outside of the house and down the steps, through the garden, and finally stopping right behind you. When you sat down, everyone else looked up. At you. Mirabel saved you the pressure of introducing yourself again and did it before anyone could ask who you were. To your surprise, everyone already seemed to know- even Bruno.

Mirabel went through the family and introduced everyone, starting at Luisa and ending at Isabela who sat next to a boy who looked to be around your age. Mirabel finally finished with gesturing to him.

"And that's Camilo," She said. Unlike everyone else, he didn't greet you because he was too busy stuffing arepas in his mouth. When everyone stopped eating and looked at him, he finally looked up at you. You swallowed. So did he. Still, he didn't say anything. It was just about the most awkward moment that had ever taken place in your life.

Isabela cleared her throat and nudged him. Still, he said nothing. You looked towards Mirabel for help but when she gave you the same puzzled look, you turned back to Camilo.