Chapter 40 (New Beginnings)

Y/N's POV

Mirabel and I sat huddled together in her shawl on a log. Though the fires had warmed our skin during the day, the night was bitter and cold. It was like the universe and our Encanto was saying one last "fuck you" before we began our descent to the unknown.

Earlier in the day after I found the candle, I ran into the burning village to find Mirabel. I could hear her voice in my heart and feel the mixture of her emotions just as I constantly felt the skin of my palms. It drew me to her until I found her body crumpled on the grass next to the edge of the forest. Her face was covered in ashes and soot, just like everyone else. I'd rested the candle next to her and placed my palms on her forehead and heart. I felt everything I felt tenfold, but I didn't let it change my emotions. With a deep breath, I let my feelings flow to her. Her heart slowed and no longer sped. Her breath came steadily. The calm ocean current in my heart streamed to hers.

Moments later, she awoke, and together we thought of a plan.

As we sat on the log together, below the bright stars that freckled the sky, we pondered on what we should do. The village was in ruins. The Casita was damaged beyond repair. And Abuela was hurt. She was alive, but no matter how much I tried to restore her breath and Julieta fed her arepas, her throat scratched and her lungs were tired. She could no longer stand, and most of all, she looked older. More tired.

Though none of us said it, we all knew that Abuela could no longer lead the Madrigals. It had to be someone else.

At first, Mirabel refused. She explained that she could never be of use without a distinctive gift like everyone else. I argued that it was what made her different. It made her special compared to everyone else because the one thing that everyone else prided themself in having, she didn't. It made her think thoroughly. It made her have a level head. It had to be her because, without Mirabel, the Madrigals would have been lost long before I'd come.

Abuela's POV

The candle led me to our home, though it has fallen apart twice. Now it will lead them to theirs.

Camilo's POV

Mirabel, Orchid, and I made our way to the tree where Abuela sat sagging and looking off to the stars. It was the first night since the Casita was first built that she'd spent a night without a roof over her head. No one in the village made an effort to start rebuilding their homes, and everyone had fallen asleep in sleeping bags and whatever they could salvage under the black night sky.

She was sitting alone. When we approached her, her gaze turned to us. At first, it was timid- guilty. She knew that we'd heard her fight with her children. Somehow I knew that she thought the whole catastrophe was her fault, and I wasn't going to tell her otherwise.

"Abuela," Mirabel began. She kneeled before our grandmother and took her hand between both of hers. It was astounding how gentle she was with her after she'd said all of those things to her less than a day before, but then again, that was just Mirabel's nature. She was a forgiving person.

Abuela made a strained gurgling sound. It pained me to see her in such discomfort when we all knew that not even the most skilled doctor could repair the damage done to her body.

"We can't stay here," she said to her. Her thumb lightly brushed over the ring on Abuela's finger. I thought of the one I gave Orchid. I watched as my grandmother nodded slightly with sad eyes.

"Our Encanto still supports us," she said and gestured to the candle Orchid heald. "But our village is no longer our home. We have to go." Abuela nodded again. This time, it was hesitant but sure. She knew it just as the rest of us did.

"I'm sorry, Abuela, that nothing I could do was good enough for you," Mirabel said and her voice quivered as she spoke. "But I promise I will finally make you proud. I'll find us a new home. I'll make sure that none of us ever have to suffer this pain again." And I knew that she wasn't just speaking for herself. She was speaking for her parents, for her uncle and aunt, for her sisters, and most of all, for me. Abuela looked down on Mirabel and I the most, and this was her promise that we'd redeem ourselves. All three of us- Mirabel, Orchid and I will lead our family into a new and better beginning. I just hoped that she'd be there to see it.

With shaky hands, Abuela reached for the shawl that was draped around her shoulders. We patiently waited as she tugged it and held it up in front of her. With a strained wheeze, she said, "For you."

Mira's eyes widened in surprise.

"What?" she whispered, and Abuela gestured for her to lean down. When she complied, my grandmother slipped the shawl around her shoulders. Mirabel breathlessly stepped back, and that was when I knew that Abuela wasn't just letting Mirabel take the lead. She was passing her position down to Mirabel and telling her to do great things. The gift of her shawl showed that she was entrusting Mirabel with the fate of her and her family, and there was no greater gift she could have received than that.

Translucent salty liquid dripped from the corner of Mirabel's eyes. Orchid slipped the burning candle into her hands, and for a split second, I could see Abuela in my cousin.

This was her fate. This is what she was born to do. I was born to take the form of the people I saw. Dolores was born to hear the words of people from a mile away, and Antonio was born to hear every animal's concern. Julieta was born to heal all of those she cared for, and Luisa was born to bring strength to our family. Pepa and Isabela were born to bring beauty to our world and Bruno was born to foresee our beginnings and ends. Mirabel was born to guide us, but most of all, we were all born to feel love.

Mirabel threw her arms around Abuela, her shawl slipping from her shoulders. With a small, melancholy smile, I thought to myself that this was right. This was where we were meant to be, and I wouldn't have wished to be with anyone else but my family and the girl I loved most. 

The End.