Chapter 15 (reflection in the glass)

Y/N's POV

Mirabel fell into step with me as I made my way into the kitchen with a stack of dishes in my hands. It was early in the morning and we'd just finished eating breakfast. I still felt tired from barely getting much sleep- I was up late trying to get some work done for Mr. Muñoz before I'd have to go in later. The rest of the Madrigals had gone to their rooms to prepare for the day just as they always did, and the Casita helped us clean the kitchen and breakfast table.

"A special day is coming up," she hummed and nudged me with her elbow. The stack of dishes that I held wobbled and I held my breath as Abuela wordlessly walked past and placed her hand on them to steady them. She was gone before I could thank her.

"And what would that be?" I asked before placing the dishes beside the sink. I slipped on an apron and pushed my hair out of my face before turning on the tap and running the water through a sponge. All I wanted was to finish cleaning the kitchen so that I could get to work early and sew my dress for another hour before customers came.

"You know what I mean," Mirabel said as she took a clean dish from my hand and dried it. She placed it on the counter behind her to put away later.

"Give me a hint," I said. I knew what she was talking about but I didn't want to think about it at the moment. The date seemed so far away and there was still so much I needed to do before it.

"Your birthday!" Mirabel shook my shoulder in excitement and a glass slipped out of my hands. It hit the bottom of the sink with a high-pitched Bang! but it didn't break. Mirabel let out a little giggle and I laughed too, but mostly from relief. If it broke, there was no telling how angry Julieta or Abuela would be.

"I'm so excited," my friend rambled as she twirled around the kitchen, slipping dishes into their respective cupboards and drawers. Her skirt fluttered around her like a balloon and I wondered how she could be so carefree. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't envy it.

"And then after your birthday, it'll be mine," she continued. I prayed to the Saints that she wouldn't get distracted and slip or fall.

"Don't you have more important things to worry about?" I asked. Mirabel stopped mid-spin to stare at me in shock.

"Better things?" She asked. I nodded and dried my hands on a hand towel.

"Yeah, I mean, it's just a birthday like any other day... except with cake."

I couldn't wrap my mind around how excited Mira was for birthdays, especially when her most significant birthday experience was one of the saddest days of her life. I liked birthdays, really, I did, but mine were always less than mediocre. I always found more happiness in making others special like Camilo and Julio. It was much more rewarding to see them happy. And Mirabel? She was like a walking optimist- a rainbow. No wonder she liked hers so much.

"Don't you want a party?" She asked, and I merrily shrugged my shoulders and helped her put the rest of the dishes away.

"Not really. I've never had one and I don't see a reason to start."

"That's even more of a reason."

I thought about Mirabel's words as I made my way to the dressmaker shop. Mr. Muñoz was already there, hunched at his desk with his reading glasses on and fussing with a disobedient seem. I greeted him quickly and found my way to my workspace where my dress sat on its mannequin along with hangers of customers' clothes.

"Prepare to stay a little late," My boss told me. "It's going to be a long day today."

+++

Camilo's POV