Chapter 34 (Things Are Better On The Balcony)

Camilo's POV

"Camilo?" She asked. Her voice was barely a whisper. It was more of a gasp, but it was everything to me. For the first time in days, our eyes met. We spoke to each other. She seemed different as we looked at each other, and it could have been because I was nervous but it was more likely due to my dream. She'd looked a little different then, with her hair tied back and her shoulders exposed in a flowy white gown, but the girl in front of me still had the same look in her eyes: curiosity and conflict.

I felt my heart skip a few beats, but couldn't bring myself to look away from her. Her hair was a mess. Her eyes drooped from drowsiness.

But she was perfect.

She was beautiful.

I took a deep breath before saying the two words I couldn't manage to say in more than half a month. I knew it meant nothing. It wouldn't repair the damage that I'd done. I'd been too much of a coward to say it sooner.

"I'm sorry," I told her. I hated the way my voice cracked but our gaze never broke. A few moments later, she opened her door a little wider. I could see an oblivious Mirabel laying in her sleeping bag, sound asleep on the floor behind her.

"Wanna talk?" She asked me. I nodded and followed her to our balcony.

+++

Y/N's POV

I was still a little surprised that Camilo had come to me first. It appeared that all of the Madrigals had trouble owning up to their mistakes and Camilo was no exception. Still, he sincerely apologized to me. He listened when I spoke of my concerns. He was gentle when he spoke his.

And our dream. He'd dreamt it too. What did it mean? How was it even possible that we were able to communicate through subconsciousness? Had we unknowingly done it before?

I'd gotten out of bed with the intention of finding the answers to most of my questions, but all I got were more questions. Bruno had told me he knew what was going to happen between us. Why didn't he just tell me so we could avoid the conflict altogether? Why couldn't it be easier to talk to Camilo?

The boy that stood next to me leaned his elbows against the railing. He looked down to the shrubbery below us while none of us spoke and we listened to the sounds of Antonio's friends around us and the gentle chaos around us that we called nature.

Somehow, we managed to have an entire conversation about why Camilo was sorry and how we both wanted things to be the way they were without mentioning the kiss. I could still remember the way his lips felt against mine, even when it lasted only a few split seconds.

There were many times that I wanted to bring it up, but I didn't know how to. How did one casually bring up a kiss after three weeks of not speaking? It was yet another unanswered question that tugged at my brain.

+++

Camilo's POV

I snuck glances at her while she told me what had happened in her dream. It was identical to what had happened to mine, and I didn't know if that or the fact that she hadn't looked at me in half an hour was scarier.

I managed to push the thought that she hated me to the back of my mind. If she really did, she wouldn't have been with me then on her balcony, much less have gotten out of bed to see me. It was funny how despite our three-week-long separation, we still thought alike.

She told me that she valued both Mirabel and I and that I shouldn't have to worry about who mattered most to her. I figured that was her way of saying that we're both cool. It didn't matter that she said so, there would always be a part of me that wanted her to myself. It wasn't my fault she was so easy to talk to and generally likable.