Chapter 10 (Happy Birthday, Jerk.)

Camilo's POV

I woke up late again, to the sound of light knocking on my door. I could tell by the gentle assertiveness that it was her who came to my room. As I sat up from my spot on the stage, I rubbed my eyes and remembered the night before- she and I had stayed up talking as if we were old-time friends. I'd never done that before- not even with Maribel.

She opened the door slowly with her hand over her eyes as she called, "you better not be naked!" I felt my cheeks burn and glanced down to see my poncho back over my shoulders. She must have put it back on me when she awoke.

Finally, she let her hand fall as she stepped inside. She had nothing in her hands this time, meaning that she didn't really have a reason to see me. I thought about how she was the first one I saw on the morning of my birthday, and the last one I saw the night before. It brought a warm fluttery feeling to my stomach as I looked over her figure. She wore her big round glasses and her usual knee-length dress and sandals.

"Your hair!" She laughed, stepping in front of me. I glanced at one of the many mirrors in my bedroom to see that it stuck out to one side almost like it had a dent in it. "I've never seen you with bedhead," She said, leaning on the stage. "You don't even have a bed."

I pursed my lips and slid off of my stage and next to her, slipping on my poncho and into my sandals. The light yellow cloth smelled like flowers and oranges.

"That's because I always look perfect," I said simply with a little sass in my tone. My heart skipped a beat as she broke out into a smile. I headed towards my closed door with my fists clenched. "And I have a bed, it's just above the stage," I mumbled. I could tell that she was following me by the light rhythmic sounds her steps made. She fell into step with me.

"What's wrong?" She asked as we made our way down the staircase. One of Antonio's pets met us at the top and followed us as we walked.

"Nothing," I muttered. Now that I was fully awake, reality had settled over me and the realization that it was my least favorite day of the year struck me.

"Happy birthday," Orchid-head said to me. I shrugged. She stopped walking and I felt her fingers pinch the cuff of my shirt just as mine did to her dress less than a day ago. I halted, looking down at my feet.

"It'll be okay," She said quietly. I bit my lip. "You'll be okay." I nodded slightly, feeling my hair bounce as I did. I pressed at the sides, remembering how distorted it looked a few minutes ago. I watched as Orchid-head turned and stepped on the second step of the stairs so that we were at eye level. I wondered when I'd grown so tall. I'd somehow managed to grow taller than Dolores and all my pants were too short.

I watched her silently fix my hair for me. Her eyes dilated as she worked, and I focused on the sound of her steady breathing and the consistency in which she blinked. Her presence was like a tool that my internal clock used to reset or fix my broken current. She made me feel things that I'd never felt before and say things that I never dreamt of telling a soul. She was peculiar and a light in the dark. I was just a curious moth trying to find my way. I didn't know if she was dangerous or safe, but I flew closer to her anyway.

"There," She said finally and flashed me a toothy smile. "A little more presentable."

"I haven't showered," I complained.

"All part of the charm."

She jumped off of the staircase, turning to see if I was following. I stood in the same place, watching in awe as her bright eyes twinkled in the late morning light that shone through the Casita's windows.

"You're making everyone wait," She called. I followed her through the back door.

Y/N's POV