Chapter 25 (Reunited And It Feels So Good)

Camilo's POV

They stepped inside the house shortly after it stopped snowing and all of the cold white flakes melted. The water seeped through the Casita's tiles into the earth below us, yet the chill remained in the house for a few more moments.

My mother's dress was soaked with water and so was Orchid's, but to my surprise, their faces glowed as they smiled and laughed to each other. I couldn't help but enjoy the sight as I approached the two, Mr. Muñoz timidly trailing behind me.

"Hi," I said to them, and at first I thought they hadn't noticed me. From the corner of my eye, I saw Mirabel make her way down the staircase. I followed her gaze to see that she was looking at my mother and her friend, but her lips were pressed in a thin line.

"What's wrong?" I mouthed to her when her eyes found mine. She glanced at me with a sigh and shook her head, walking in the opposite direction of the two laughing women.

I watched her go before stepping in front of them. When they noticed my presence, Pepa's eyes widened. It took me a moment to realize that she wasn't looking at me- she was looking at the man behind me.

"Saints," she whispered. My gaze shifted between the both of them as they exchange a brief nod.

"It's good to see you, Edward," she said to him. He stepped closer and extended his hand, but my mother being the affectionate beanpole she is, pulled him in for a tight hug. Mr. Muñoz let out a small gasp, but I saw him smile slightly.

"Same to you," he quietly replied.

Y/N's POV

"Where's Mira?" I asked Camilo as I slid onto the marble counter. We were in the kitchen while Pepa and Mr. Muñoz spoke, getting a snack. The teenager next to me was leaning on the counter and stacking arepas and fruit on a plate. I watched as he slipped a green grape between his soft lips while he sliced a mango.

"Wouldn't know," He shrugged as he chewed, his eyes never leaving the knife and fruit in his hands. He peeled the skin off of a slice and let it fall to the plate on the counter. "Saw her go outside, though." He ate another grape.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked after a while. Again, the boy shrugged. He was done slicing the mango and had shifted to the sink to wash his knife and hands.

"I don't know, but something weird went on between them- I just know it." I let out a little laugh and shook my head. "I thought so too at first, but something else happened."

"Like?" Camilo asked, glancing at me as he dried the knife and slipped it into its wooden holder. He plucked another grape from the plate and held it in front of my face.

"Open," he said as if it were an afterthought. I complied and let him slip the fruit into my mouth.

While I explained what had happened to Mr. Muñoz and the Madrigal family, I tossed grapes to Camilo and he tried to catch them in his mouth from a distance. It was a game that I used to play with Julio when we could afford to buy them. I was surprised to see how bad Camilo was at the game, and it resulted in me bursting into laughter every time he scrambled to catch the fruit, only for it to bounce off the corner of his mouth.

Eventually, Pepa and my boss found their way to the kitchen just as Camilo missed yet another grape. He let out a grunt of frustration and I laughed as I picked up the discarded fruit from the floor.

"Did you find Bruno?" I asked my boss when the door behind them swing shut. My boss and Pepa exchanged another glance.

"Actually, we don't think it's best for Bruno to know that I was here," Mr. Muñoz began. Camilo gave me a worried glance. I shrugged. "He's been through a lot lately and he's got something good going on for him with Anita."