Chapter 16 (haha sike)

Camilo's POV

I'd stopped having my reoccurring dream the night of my birthday. It must have been because the events didn't take place, and it ended up being one of the best days of my life.

Even though I couldn't have been happier to be free from my nightmares, a new dream had replaced the one I'd have every night. This dream, however, changed slightly with every night that passed but followed the same series of events.

The lights were out. I couldn't see anything around me and the only source of light was one that shone overhead of me. It followed me as I aimlessly roamed with no sense of direction or knowledge of where I was.

I wore the same clothes that I usually did: my bright orange and yellow poncho and a collared shirt. The hems of my pants were soaked with swampy water and I'd lost the sandals that I usually wore some time ago.

I already knew that calling out and asking for help would only make me lose my voice, and I'd given up on talking to myself hours ago. My legs ached and begged for me to sit down, but I kept on walking.

Water sloshed around my ankles and I could feel the soles on my feet itch and ache.

It seemed like forever before I found a light in the tunnel. It was bright white and seemed to pulse from the distance. As soon as I saw it, hope swelled from within my heart and I picked up my pace. My legs carried me through the tunnel and I went faster, my breath quickening and my arms pumping at my side as I ran. I didn't know what was past the tunnel, but all I knew was that I had to get out. I could feel the walls closing around me and the air was dry and musty. It was suffocating.

My foot caught on the back of my ankle and I slipped, but I didn't let myself fall. The small circle of light grew as I approached and soon I was running through it, gasping for breath and shielding my eyes from the bright white light.

The air was fresh and sweet in my lungs and as I turned around, I took in the view around me. The room was large and bright, the walls were painted white and the floors were milky marble under my feet. I tracked water that dripped from my pants and onto the stone. Mirrors of all shapes and sizes, framed in gold hung from the tall ceiling on thin white string. Some of them gently swung from side to side while others stayed still. The peculiar thing, however, was that in each mirror I walked past, I caught sight of a reflection that wasn't mine. In each mirror was a member of my family or a townsperson. Some of the reflections that stared back at me were people that I didn't even recognize.

What is this place?

The thought that people were stuck in the mirrors crossed my mind, but it was more likely that it was just my dream mocking me. I was always shifting into people. Some of them were people that I didn't even know. Shifting was as natural to me as eating or sleeping was. Sometimes I'd even shifted while I slept, and whenever I looked into the mirror when I was awake, I never knew who was staring back at me. That was exactly what was happening in my dream. It was both brilliant and terrifying.

I found myself stopping at one mirror in particular. The person that stared back at me was Her. I lifted my hand and let it rest on the cold glass of the mirror, observing how her large round glasses slid down her face. I looked at her soft skin and the petals that were weaved in her hair. My reflection was disturbingly accurate to the girl that I saw every day. I lifted my hand to trace the side of her face as if to cup her chin. Her virtual figure did the same to me.

And then I saw her. She was standing behind me- her. I turned to look around as if I couldn't quite believe my eyes. I called her name. She stepped forward.