Chapter 7 (Mirabel 2.0)

Y/N POV (First Person)

"Where's Camilo?" Mirabel asked as she slid into her chair. The Madrigals were all eating at the breakfast table while discussing what had to be done during the day. Pepa glanced up before biting into a slice of papaya.

"He's probably still asleep," She said, giving a small shrug.

Mirabel furrowed her brows as she turned to me.

"Should we wake him?" She asked. I was completely unconcerned. I'd wondered the same thing but settled with saying, "Just let him be. He was probably up late reciting lines from Shakespeare plays or something."

After all, he and I were still not on the best of terms. He'd shown up in my dream the night before. I dreamt that his face was completely blocked out and it was enough me make me glad to not see him in the morning. I knew what Camilo was like in reality but the dream had spooked me a little.

"Anyway," Mirabel said, resting her chin on her palms. "We have to go to town today."

"Oh?" I asked. "What's the occasion?" I'd been to town only once and that was when I'd arrived. It seemed like it had happened months ago and it was amazing how quickly time passed with the Madrigals.

"Well you've only got one outfit and really, I don't mind you wearing my clothes, but I'm sure you'd like to have your own," She explained. I nearly dropped my slice of bread and Dolores glanced at me with furrowed brows.

"I didn't mean to-" I began but Mirabel waved me off, flashing her signature apologetic smile.

"It's fine," She assured me. "My dad gave me some coin so we can get you some stuff, plus we both need a new dress for Camilo's birthday," She rambled.

"I can't take your dad's money, Mira, you guys have already done so much for me. Here, I have some leftover coin from when I left my town," I said, fumbling in my pockets.

I felt Mirabel's hand lightly grasp my shoulder. She said my name and I looked up to see her and the rest of the Madrigals looking at me. I felt myself redden. Were they listening to us the entire time? Were they mad at me for using Mirabel and Dolores's clothes? No. On each of their faces, I saw concern and... pity. I frowned. I hated that look on their faces.

"Nieta," Abuela said slowly. "We're here to help you."

I found my face stiffening as I willed my tears to stay in my eyes. I didn't want to cry, certainly not when everyone was looking at me. I couldn't fathom how easily the Madrigals took me in. They welcomed me with open arms as if I were one of their own, even though I didn't have a gift and I had practically nothing to offer in return. They didn't ask anything of me, and that was the hardest part of all. How was it that a family that wasn't mine accepted me more than my own?

"Save your coin," Agustín said, aking Juliata's hand. "You're welcome to stay with us, but I can imagine that you'd want your own independence." I nodded wordlessly, feeling my throat close up. There was nothing I could say to express the degree of my gratitude, but I started by simply saying, "Thank you."

+++

There was a dressmaker at the base of the town where a clear river ran under a tall stone bridge. The sound of the steady current floated through the village as we walked. The town was lively and full of happy people and for a moment, I imagined that I was home. The difference was, however, that this town was much smaller and considerably cleaner. Everyone knew each other and lent a helping hand no matter what. I watched as someone replaced dying flowers in a large pot at the corner of a street. I figured that Isabela had been the one to plant them in the first place.