Chapter 20 (Bruno)

Camilo's POV

"Bruno? What do you mean it really happened?" Abuela demanded. She held onto my uncle's shoulders while the man examined the door as he mumbled to himself. I watched as he ran his fingers over the soft wood of the glowing door next to my friend, and his eyes eccentrically flicked from left to right.

"I saw it," Bruno told us. "I had a vision. A long time ago, but it happened. I didn't think it would, but Saints, it happened."

The rest of my family shifted closer to hear as my uncle spoke. My mother and aunt exchanged skeptical glances, but I could only really focus on how the girl next to me slumped a little as the blush in her skin lost its glow.

"Orchid?" I asked. My hand found its way to her shoulder and she leaned tiredly against me. I wasn't sure what the door had done to her but she was completely drained.

"Why didn't you tell anybody?" Abuela asked. "What really happened? What did you see?" Bruno shook his head and his eyes found Orchid's.

"I need to talk to her first," he told us.

Y/N's POV

Bruno and I had never really gotten along. It wasn't that we disliked each other or anything- in fact, I thought Bruno was really cool. He was a funny guy when he spoke to Mirabel and I had a sneaky feeling that we never really spoke because he knew something I didn't.

And now it was all out.

He led me to the kitchen and away from the rest of the Madrigals. I knew that they were probably leaning on the door and trying to listen to our conversation.

The older man leaned on the counter and stared at his toes.

"I don't know where to begin," he said. He gave a little chuckle. "Heck of a way to spend your birthday, eh?" He asked. I nodded with a small tight-lipped smile. My head no longer swam and my energy had returned. It appeared that I was completely back to normal, but I knew that nothing would be the same.

I could feel it- all of it. Being alone with Bruno wasn't easy. I could sense all of his anxiety and worry. I could feel it as if his emotions were my own. I've always been good at telling how others felt, but it had never been like this. I'd never felt what anyone had felt to this degree.

My heart raced along with his. My eyes flicked to everything that suddenly moved. I wondered if Bruno always felt that way. If so, I pitied him. It was an uneasy feeling, and while he may have gotten used to it over the years, it was something that no one should have to constantly battle.

"Tell me about your family," Bruno said, drawing me away from my thoughts.

"What do you wanna know?" I asked. He gave a little shrug.

"Where were your parents from? Why did you leave them? How did you get here?"

And so I did. I told him about my father's alcoholism. I told him about Julio and his death and how we always lived in the same city. I explained that my parents were born there too and that I was the first one to leave. I told him about the day's journey to the Madrigal's small town and about the beautiful river that caught the sun's glow.

"Wait. Stop," Bruno interrupted me. His fingers pinched his chin as he thought.

"I know that river. My mother crossed it to come to our town. My father died there."

"What does that mean?" I asked him. "Did something happen in the river that made me get a door?"

"Tell me about the river again," he instructed.