Chapter 24 ("What would we do without you?")

Y/N's POV

"I did not see that one coming," I breathed as I studied my boss. Sweat no longer dripped down his forehead and if he wasn't as old as he was, and my boss, I would have thought maybe he was... hot?

I cringed at the thought that passed through my head and stood up. I extended my hand to help the thin middle-aged man to his feet.

"It was a long time ago," he replied. I imagined Mr. Muñoz clutching onto Bruno's arm. It surprised me how good I thought they'd be together. Bruno was the most paranoid person I knew and Mr. Muñoz had a kind of eccentric calm associated with him. Bruno was careful and observant and my boss was assertive and calm. It worked.

"Do you still like him?" I asked him and he chuckled in response. I thought he wasn't going to say anything until he huffed out a little breath.

"I haven't seen him in years."

"That doesn't answer the question."

"He has a girlfriend."

"Anita is lovely but so are you," I told him. He ran his hand under his nose to wipe the sweat that had developed over his mustache. "I prefer women," he told me. I shrugged.

"I don't care about your sexuality, sir, I just want you to have a happy ending."

"I'm not dying, dear."

"So you're saying you're not lonely?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm your only friend," I told him. "You need to spread your wings."

"Says the girl who can't tell the guy she likes how she really feels-"

The door to the dressmaker shop swung open, interrupting our little repartee. We turned to see who had entered the shop just as the large bell above the door chimed, announcing our visitor's presence.

"Camilo?" We both asked in surprise. I heard my boss chuckle and I wanted to tell him to be quiet.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked my friend as he stepped inside. His hair was tied into a low bun and curls along his hairline stuck out and hung over his face. He wasn't wearing his signature poncho and trousers; instead, he wore shorts and a buttoned-up t-shirt.

"Saints, it's hot outside," he said and gave a happy sigh when his skin met the slightly cooler air inside. He let the door swing shut behind him as he wiped the sweat from his brow.

"Hey, Orchid," he said to me and nodded at my boss. He stopped to take in the sight of the dressmaker shop. It looked like one of Pepa's surprise tornados had managed to slip into the shop.

"What happened here?" He asked and I was about to turn to my boss and allow him to explain, but he still had that stupid smug expression on his face. He nodded towards the sixteen-year-old boy in front of me.

I huffed out a breath and repeated my question.

"It's hot," Camilo said to me again. "My mom was trying to change the weather but she ended up making it snow in Casita so Abuela told me to come and get you."

Through the corner of my eye, I watched my boss cringe at the mention of Abuela. A slow smile spread on my lips. "Do you mind if Mr. Muñoz tags along?" I asked. Camilo glanced at him with a shrug.

"Sure, I guess,"

"Oh, no, I'll just stay here and work on the shop and-"

Instead of letting my boss finish his sentence, I grabbed his elbow and led him through the store and out of the front door.