Chapter Nine - The Calm Before The Storm

As everything fell into place, Lark Cyclonis had just finished attending a meeting with the shareholders for Cyclonia Enterprises. Despite their initial concerns for the tactics displayed the Talon Commandos, Cyclonis reassures them that the tactics are necessary to keep the peace and that the results would be worth the investment. After the meeting, Cyclonis beings making the preparations. In her private office, Cyclonis speaks with Ulric. 

Cyclonis: How is our guest? 

Ulric: The wizard has proven more...cooperative than anticipated. 

Cyclonis: Good. The sooner we get this done, the sooner we make that vision a reality. 

Ulric: If I may, Miss Cyclonis.

Cyclonis: Speak your mind, Mr. Ulric. 

Ulric: I understand your desire to see the Oracle's vision made into reality, but is it really wise to move forward so quickly? Not only do we not know exactly what kind of powers the Far Side has, but we have far too many enemies. 

Cyclonis: You mean the Storm Hawks? 

Ulric: No. I mean Dark Ace. 

Upon hearing this, Cyclonis fell silent for a moment. She walked over to her personal computer and checks in on a security footage showing the petrified Dark Ace in an undisclosed location. 

Cyclonis: I am no fool, Mr. Ulric. I know Dark Ace has ulterior motives of his own. His attempts to take control of the Raptor Gang is evidence enough. The Dark Ace sees himself as a chess player, but he's not as smart as he claims to be. As much as he is not to be trusted, I feel we could not have gotten this far without him. He not only help us acquire the wizard, but he gave the Storm Hawks a good distraction. Everything is moving exactly as I have planned. 

As Cyclonis expressed confidence in her plan, Ulric was unsure. Despite his concerns, he maintained his loyalty to her. 

Cyclonis: The power of the Far Side will change everything. No longer will I work with fools in the bureaucracy. No longer will I work around the laws of man. I have waited a long time for this moment. I clawed my way to where I am, taking out any who dared to get in my way. Now I will get my due rewards. And as for the Storm Hawks, they will fall just like the rest. 

As Cyclonis said this, her deepest desires were made known. She wanted not just power, but all the power one could have. The vision shown to her by the Oracle seemed to only intensify Cyclonis's ambitions. As Cyclonis enters the final stages of her plans, Starling is at a bar drinking. Still wracked with guilt over what happened, Starling drank alone. As she did so, Captain Harrier enters the bar. He pulls a seat next to Starling and sits down. 

Harrier: You alright? You look like hammered shit.

Starling: I feel like hammered shit. 

Harrier: Last time I saw you like this, it was the night your partner got killed by Repton. 

As Harrier said this, Starling's mind fell back to her partner's death. Thinking about that made her finish the glass of whisky and pour herself another glass. Harrier sighs. 

Harrier: I can't say I blame you. It ain't easy losing a friend like that in the line of duty. I can't tell you how many good friends I lost in my time. I've delivered too many flags to families and went to too many funerals. Every time I went to one, I always think, "Why me? Why am I not the one in the ground?" It....it took me a long time to make peace with it. 

Starling: Are you trying to make me feel better?

Harrier: Hell if I know. You're a good cop, Starling. One of the finest in this damn city. 

Starling: What makes you think I'm a good cop? I've made some mistakes. 

Harrier: None of us are perfect, Starling. What makes you a good cop is how whenever life kicks your ass, you somehow find a way to get back up. I guess what I'm saying is that whatever's kicking your ass, you'll get back up. 

As Starling says this, she takes a moment to reflect on herself. She thought about her years of service as a detective as well as the loss of her partner at the hands of Repton. She thought about her partnership with the Storm Hawks and her involvement with Cyclonis. As she reflects on all that has happened to her, she thought of what Aerrow said to her. 

Aerrow(Past): I believe in you, Detective Starling. Without your help, we would not have gotten as far as we did. We are honored to call you ally and friend. As far as we are concerned, you are a member of our clan. You have proven yourself to be an invaluable ally time and time again. We have faith in your abilities, Detective Starling. In the face of these dark days, the world needs all it's heroes in the days to come.

As Aerrow's words echoed in her head, Starling glanced outside to see that the Sun was setting. Knowing what needed to be done, Starling finishes her drink. After paying the bartender, Starling gets up from her seat and begins walking out the door, but not before speaking with Harrier. 

Starling: Thank you, Captain. For everything. 

Harrier: I don't know what you got yourself involved in, but stay safe out there. 

With that, the two cops bid each other goodbye, not knowing what would happen. In that moment, Starling had found her resolve. It was the calm before the storm and Starling was prepared for whatever came her way.